ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking noise

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I'm getting a knocking noise under hard acceleration, especially on rough roads or when the wheels have lost grip. Sounds as if it's coming from the front driver's side.

My initial thought was the upper engine mount, which was removed to do the cambelt in November, but that's as tight as a nun's chuff. Are there any lower mounts I should know about or anything else that may be causing this?

Any help appreciated.

Insignia SRi
Have you checked the engine mount bolt under the battery because I had the same but lifted the battery out and tightened the bolt and it was sorted????

Its a known problem with the clio's a hard/violent juddering under hard acceleration in first gear. There is a fix on here that Fred suggested hang on i'll have a search. But rest assured they all do it

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Nice one. I only really noticed it when I went to Oulton Park and gave it a thraping. It only does it if I have to pull out of the drive in a hurry and the wheel drops off the kerb outside the house.

I have the details for the top mount modification, by way of a friend who works for Renault, if that is anything to do with it?

I've just been out and had a bit of a ***** around underneath and it looks like my ARB bushes need changing, which may have something to do with the knocking sound.

could try tightening the shaft that runs through the upper gearbox mount (as suggested) - need to remove the battery and the mount (fiddly as the retaining bolts at the sides aren't captive); there's a flat on the shaft that you can use to tighten it. it screws into a nut which is just accessible from the arch.

whilst refitting the mount, slacken the four bolts that locate the upper engine mount, and pull the unit forwards for clearance.

after that, you're probably looking at renewing some/all of the mounts