ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking on O/S Front Corner

421 Cammed 172
I've done a search on it but there's no definitive answer and not many people have the symptoms i'm avin.

Only the front O/S corner is knocking, It's not only when i turn, It's when i'm going slow also, hitting pot holes, speed bumps etc. Also does it when i'm turning.

Not my CV joint as i've just had that checked, re-greased and re-booted.

Could it be Suspension strut tops or ball joints?

I don't really wanna spend money on something it's not going to be.

Any tell tale signs to help diagnose the problems?

Thanks in advance.

421 Cammed 172
Could only check with a rachet & socket as i didn't have any swan neck spanners to hand at the time.

Everything seems to be tight, but i'll dig out the swannies and give it a go.

It also does it when i wiggle the steering wheel while the cars stood still.

Golf MK6 GT TDI
yeah mines the same, every time i pull away i get the clunking and knocking, pretty sure its the top mounts, have you lowered your car?

421 Cammed 172
£50 per side at Renault i believe.

You should never give Renault the credit of parts value that you'd associate with other manufacturers.

They want £120+ for a plastic splitter!

Da

Less
It could be the bearing that's gone, I'm sure they can be bought seperate from Renault.

1.4 16v soon 2 be 172 rep
mine does the same its the bearins mate you can either go to a scrapy and buy a front hub and it comes with bearings so you just take old one off and fit new hub or you can just keep your hub take it off and press fit the new bearings its easier to just buy a hub from scrapy as fittin bearings are headache

421 Cammed 172
I'm doin the brake sunday so while the wheels off i'll give the hub a shake top to bottom and see if it's iffy.

Any idea on price of the strut top bearings Da? I'm thinking of getting some Compbrake solid top mounts so if they'll sort it i'll probably go with those instead of the Renault shite.

Dodgy one
I'm doin the brake sunday so while the wheels off i'll give the hub a shake top to bottom and see if it's iffy.

Any idea on price of the strut top bearings Da? I'm thinking of getting some Compbrake solid top mounts so if they'll sort it i'll probably go with those instead of the Renault s**te.

From what i've been reading on here i wouldnt bother with Compbrake ones, ASTs, KTR, and mark fish seem to be the ones to go for

ASTs dont require any drilling either :cool:

Honda ATR
just started having this problem, was told a few months ago my top mounts needed doing but i just thought it was national tyers trying to rip me off as there wasnt that much free play in them. But i guess they where right!!!!

Clio 182
Had the same on mine and after it going in to Renault twice and them saying it was the shock that had gone and changing it. (Was under warranty or would never have taken it to them)
It was still doing it so had a look myself and it was the ball joint. New ball joint was £8.50 and took me 1h to change. All good now.