ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking OSF under Braking

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
My 182 has developed a knock (now more of a bang) under braking. It's gotten louder over the last week and now does it sometimes on acceleration too.

It started with only doing it when I was braking whilst turning to the left, as I would when turning onto my drive, so when the front right of the car was loaded up.

It must be something suspension related. I'm thinking maybe ARB or possibly a ball joint, but the noise is now so loud i'm starting to really worry about it. Anyone know of anything common this could be?

Thanks

Whip the wheel off and have a look. Probably something like an ARB link - that's what had gone on mine which was making similar noises at similar times.

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
i know this sounds completely stupid. but check the wheel nuts. make sure they are nice and tight.

Not stupid at all. I've done that one before too! It's not that tho. It's worryon me as it's doin it as inpull of not too and can physically feel the vibration through the car as it knocks. Will whip wheel off an have a look once I get chance

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
Right had the wheel off over the weekend. ARB is secure. Spring looks fine. Top mount isn't moving. Brake calliper bolts are tight an not moving. With car jacked up and wheel on, there's no movement wen holding at 3 and 9 or 12 and 6.

What else could it be? It's getting worse! When I brake, I hear the clunk and the steering wheel physically jumps in my hand a little. Is this steering rack related? What other checks can I do?

Thanks

Megane 225
Check the track rod end ball joints and also where the rod connects to the rack. Also check your engine mounts, particularly the dogbone and gearbox mounts.

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
Thanks. Will keep looking! Just this b*****d weather makes it so hard to make a start! When u say gearbox mount, which one do u mean?