ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking sound with new alloys?

Clio, Yamaha R6
Hi guys, my mate gave me his old wheels for my clio so I sourced the correct size spigot rings and fitted them on.

Now since then whenever I drive I get a knocking sound that gets louder the faster I go.. Kind of like a train sound lol

Any idea what this could be? Might just revert back to my standard wheels but I thought since these are there might as well try them :)

Clio, Yamaha R6
Hi guys, I'm pretty sure they are on properly and I did it pretty tight.. Going to torque it tomorrow..

I used the same bolts as the standard wheels. Is that bad? Lol..

220 Trophy
Hi, I'm not sure how can I check this?
Take a bolt out and look at the profile of the shoulder that matches against the face of the recess in the wheel and also have a look at the profile of the recess in the wheel - they should match. Some bolts/wheels have different profiles, have a look on the web at the different bolt profiles and you'll get an idea. For example when I bought my Speedlines they came with a set of matching bolts and when I fitted my stud kit I made sure the nuts are the same profile for my Speedlines. You might by chance have matching bolts/wheels, but sod's law you wont and therefore although the bolt fastens against the wheel its not making a good contact.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Space cadet has a very good point.

Also, are you 100% the spigot rings are 1000000% correct in terms of size?

Even if they're not, as long as the bolts are done up tightly (although you need to tighten them all gradually to make sure the wheel is centred) it wouldn't be an issue.

Have the wheels been balanced? This can cause a steering wheel vibration that increases with speed.