ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hey.

Hopefully one of you peeps will know the answer or at least guide me in the right direction.

Less than 14 days ago I fitted a set of cup wishbones, Inc powerflex bushes, powerflex ARB bushes, ball joints, track rod end.

It was fine for a week or so, but now I get a loud knock from somewhere at the front when I turn the steering wheel side to side. Just as if you were wobbling it side to side, each change in direction you get a knock.

does anyone know of which part that I replaced could cause this?
I was thinking more along the lines of steering related as it only does it when steering.

bushes look fine and bolts are tight.

Thanks all

Track 172 Cup
Mine did this after replacing passenger CV boot knocking noise only when steering I thought it was because i pulled the drive shaft out a little lol but it slid back in fine, couldn't tell what it was until I went over a members on here (Thanks @bloke) and put it on a lift and then seen the bolts that hold the ball joint to wishbone has stripped their threads off a little and the bolts had come loose, couple of new nuts as the local place didnt have the right bolts and all is well (will probably get some new bolts and chuck em on next time its in the air)

If you have checked all the Nuts and Bolts its probably not much use to you but you never know, mine felt ok (too me anyway) until we got it up in the air.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Did it do it each time you moves the wheel when stationary?
Would make perfect sense if they were loose as when the wheel is turned the bolt would move in its place slightly.
Will check them at lunch!

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Ok just checked.
sounds like it's coming from passenger side. So had a go doing up the ball joint bolts.
The one closer to ball joint seems loose. As in I can actually turn it and the bolt spins with the nut.
I don't have an 18mm spanner on me so will have a look in work for me then give it a tighten. Hopefully that is the issue!

Track 172 Cup
Think it was about 42nm on the torque wrench but I didn't have any new bolts so had to use a few half nuts and just nipped the last one up to 42 (ish) and then gave it another half a turn and all has been well.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Just remembered, are you having your car wrapped or has it been done already ? have you got any pics if it has been done.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Think it was about 42nm on the torque wrench but I didn't have any new bolts so had to use a few half nuts and just nipped the last one up to 42 (ish) and then gave it another half a turn and all has been well.

OK did them up and still knocking, so not those unfortunately.
Deffo sounds further down than top mounts... wWill get wheels off an investigate.
Just remembered, are you having your car wrapped or has it been done already ? have you got any pics if it has been done.

not wrapped yet mate. Taking the car for the wrap on the 30th.
still dipped which I will be removing around the 20th.

Reactions: Gus
  Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I have some inner rods on their way.
Just ramped up the car, put steering lock on.

Ican turn the wheel from side to side whilst under the car, both wheels move from side to side when I just move tthe one so... so I thought the whole rack must be moving, watched it and nope it's not. Each time I moved a wheel there was a clunk somewhere above my head, I simply couldn't pinpoint it.

What would be causing this??

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I think its now the drive shaft, I noticed when turning a wheel the steering wheel would move inside and stop with a klunk at locking point lol.

I can diggle the drive shaft and it makes a knocking noise, could this make this noise when turning?