ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Know its been covered a million times but are Goodyears better than Michelin

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Need 4 tyres on the 182 and looking for prices. Ringing costco tomorrow to see a price on the Exaltos but are the Goodyear F1's really that good? They will be around the same price but want something good in the wet. Wont be going break neck speeds until the good weather comes around again, just want a good tyre that will see me through the winter and do a good job in the spring.

Also for those in the know, what is the difference between EAGLE F1 GS-D2 and EAGLE F1 GS-D3?

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
and as an after thought, what are the Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres like? Know that is what is supplied on the Meggy 225, but anyone used them on the 182?

172cup
got F1's on mine.... don't like them. Wear down too quick, and not a great deal of grip.

D3 is simply a different tread pattern than the D2. Same tyre pretty much. D3 only available on 3 tyre sizes

If your not happy with the Exaltos go for something different but otherwise i'd stick with them.
I've tried loads of different tyres and their are other good tyres out their but in terms of price, wet and dry grip, wear rate and road noise i'd go for Michelin every time.
Some people swear by F1's other people don't so it may just be personal prefernce but no point risking it if your happy with your Exaltos.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Exaltos are meant to be good wet tyres.

The question to ask is really.

Do you need anymore grip ??? With your current driving, do you often get understeer or squealing ???

If not then I don't see the problem in sticking with what works.

Same as brakes really, people go and spend £500 on a big(ger) brake kit for a 1.6... When they don't even use the stock brakes beyond their potential.

Something to bare in mind though is that it's going to start getting very icey and wet. Perhaps a set of winter tyres would be a better choice...:)

172cup
gyef13.jpg

gyef1.jpg

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
so from those two pics i am guessing the second would be the better wet tyre? I am happy with the exaltos, but my bank ballance isnt so keen on them

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
the dunlops are only £69 a corner so bout £80 saving un total over the exalto's. Very tempted to give them a try, be interesting to see what the meggy bunch think about these tyres

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
it was, but noticed the dunlops are so much cheaper than the others and are still supposed to be good. might just have to buy some exaltos and bung them on the credit card

Yeah I agree to many times i've picked a set of tyres and realised their crap and you're left with either 10,000 of misery or shelling out again.
Like the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it!

FF Blackgold 182
Gonna get Exaltos on mine. They seem to have good grip in the wet and have got a lot more life in them. Mate of mine has Gy Eagle F1's and he ain't too pleased with them really.

CS Dungeon
I am on my 4th set of GSD3's are they are superb, much better then the original Exalto's I had on the 182

GSD3's again are far superior to GSD2's

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
I plumped for the Exaltos from costco, they should be in on wednesday. Thought I should stick with what I know for winter but will look at the GSD3's when it comes to summer again

Depends on application.

The Exalto is a better "all round" tyre in my experience.

GSD3's are better on a dry surface but fair a lot worse on a wet/damp surface.

Now if they made the GSD3 in a softer compound and a slight change in tread pattern...

RB 182 with CUP packs
Yokohama Parada Spec II's are brilliant tyres.

Not sure what the costs are like in the std fitment though?

It could be something to do with it but i'm sure their will be a few sport owners that rate them too.
The way I see it though is you can't say any tyre is a great tyre in general, it's all down to what car their fitted on how well they perform on that particular car. And if Renault say the Exalto was for the 182 and they do work best of sticking to it

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Eagle GSD3 F1's won the EVO tyre test a way back. Although the test just happened to be on Goodyear's test track.

No such test has been carried out since, and new tyres have come along like the PE2.

I have used Bridgestone SO2's which I still think are the best tyre ever made, SO3's which repalced them and aren't that good, and F1's.

PE2's are supposed to be good but it would have cost me £20 a corner over the F1's and I don't think they are worth that. The F1's are great in the wet and I would rather sacrifice them not being the best dry tyre for them being the best in the wet.

I am on my 4th set of GSD3's are they are superb, much better then the original Exalto's I had on the 182

GSD3's again are far superior to GSD2's
Have you tried both? You can only get the GSD2s in 185/55/15 for the valver so I've only tried those, but the grip is stunning in the wet - I can literally drive like it's dry :cool:

As someone else said above, I'd imagine the GSD3 moves towards better dry grip but reduced wet grip?

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
well, I got the exaltos fitted toda. Costco wouldnt accept credit cards either so im gonna be extremely skint for the rest of the month now. couldnt believe how much grip i had when driving home though, was like a new car. Old ones must have been way past their best