ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Konis vs cup shocks

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Currently on new cup shocks and Cooksport springs, its nice on the road but on track I'd like a little more from it without going to coilovers.

Are the Koni shocks a decent improvement over Cup shocks? They have damping adjustment which would be useful for track.

Range Rover Sport
Interesting, so you wouldn't recommend the 'cup' suspension with aftermarket lowering springs?

Interesting, so you wouldn't recommend the 'cup' suspension with aftermarket lowering springs?

Cup shocks are £140 odd quid for a set which is a lot cheaper than the Konis. I have a set of cup shocks and cooksport springs and its a good setup, though I'm expecting the cooksports to eat the shocks soon enough as in my experience any lowering spring ruins standard dampers.

If you can afford the Konis over standard cup shocks I'd go that route every time.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I've got konis on my cup with sport line springs. Fully hard they are brilliant on track but makes it a bit twitchy on the road. Softened up a bit and they are great on the road too.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Loved my konis with cup springs, nice and soft to drive to the track, adjust them up hammer it all day and then a nice comfy drive home :)

172cup
Where do you get koni's for the clio cup then, I emailed larkspeed and they said koni don't make suspension kits for a clio mk2 cup

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
Where do you get koni's for the clio cup then, I emailed larkspeed and they said koni don't make suspension kits for a clio mk2 cup

Answered your own question there

Koni don't make them for the 182 cup/full fat as it's different spacing, the normal Koni for the 172/182 will fit a 172 cup and spacing is the same

Countryman JCW
I had Koni's on my 172 turbo, and i have to say the difference in the cars handling when adjusted was very noticeable!

Ive had 2 182's now with cup pack suspension. I put some Apex lowering springs on the 1st one and it firmed up the ride and decreased body roll to the point it felt just like the Koni's on Eibach Sportlines with the shocks on as stiff as they can go. With the Konis on full soft it felt just like driving a Cup Packed 182 with OEM Shocks and springs.

My honest opinion, unless youre doing 10-15 track days a year and are trying to be really quick id say the cost doesnt justify the expense of a set of new Koni's. For me it would be a case of keep your new cup shocks, get some stiffer springs (cooksports seem to be the craze at the moment) and you will get 95% of the Koni's performance/benefit at a fraction of the cost.

All IMHO of course

172 rag
I used to rate koni adjust quite high. However in my other car (panda 100hp) with 888 and eibach springs the first set lasted less than 25K km not miles.
No track days just some recces for tarmac rallies and the rears started pissing oil. I changed the rears thinking that it might be a bad batch. After 10K km the front ones were dead. I dont beleive that they are of the same quality that they used to be 10 yrs ago. The importer in Greece started about high temperatures and that the tyre weight affected them and all sort of crap. What a tosser.

Just my 2c

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Are the current Koni yellows still just oil filled or are they pressurising them now?