ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ktec racing

Mk3 clio rs
Hello everyone, i no this topic is going to annoy some people but the only answers i can find are from a few years ago so wanted some more recent feedback.

I have a mk3 clio rs and ive read about getting a remap (although doesnt give you much more power) it increases its lower end performance. I live in east devon and am very close to k-tec racing and wanted to no if anyone had any positive reviews from their performance package 1 which gives you a sports panel filter, a before and after rolling road and obviously the remap itself!

Does anyone no if its worth the money or is there somewhere better near my location? As im getting sick and tired of the 'flat spot' and the lack of smoothness down the bottom of the rev range if that makes sence!

Thanks in advance.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'm tempted to get an RSTuner map on my 172 but I'm not confident of playing around with laptops and maps, think I might screw it all up

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'm tempted to get an RSTuner map on my 172 but I'm not confident of playing around with laptops and maps, think I might screw it all up

It's dead simple, you can't really f**k it up unless you're a total mong.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Nope, they do their own mapping £400+vat but also offer RSTuning maps, £630 for a Megane (as I recently enquired) as you need to buy the device too.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Gonna play devils advocate here but I doubt any tuner starts "fresh"

I bet even EFI upload a "flash" then look at the data and go "hmmm, that'll do"

Once you've remapped one standard car, then I bet the next isn't much different so why not just try the same map as last time

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah but theres flash mapping and adding/taking fuel out to meet AFR numbers

Nothing done to timing or getting the best out of a car. You're handing over £300. Not £30 to some council estate humpty that uses his aunties laptop

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
RS Tuning might as well use an RS Tuner with the amount of flash maps they do

RSTuning used an RSTuner to upload my map as they said it was the easiest way to make sure no other tuner could steal their map (I assume they locked it onto the ECU?) they had to pay henk for every one they done

not sure anyone would want to steal it right enough it was a horrible map on anything other than full throttle!

it was only beaten by EcoTune in Glasgow for the worst map ever award, who may has well uploaded a tom tom map of Belgium to the ECU

Clio 172 Cup
Every map I have had done by Chris at Efi he has spent at least an hour on the rollers customising a bespoke map to my cup, I haven’t heard anything negative about his work. I don’t have the technical ability to load and do maps myself but for the price he charges it’s good value for money for his knowledge and expertise. I do think it’s down to the car, engine timing ect which gives the end figures I have never considered the RS tuner map route but makes interesting reading

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much summed it up.
Incorrectly.
Imagine you had mapped everything iteration and variance of a car. Would you start from the cal again, or use the existing map that you developed and place it on that car and use that as a base? That’s exactly what Paul @ RSTuning does.
There is no huge variance between car a with a intercooler and arguements sake a 15t turbo than car b with the same spec. Minor tweaks are needed.
You are paying for the development time, not the time on the rollers

In most other lines of work you wouldn’t query speed of execution, yet bizarrely it is in this.

edit: spellink

Clio 172 ph1
All depends if you enjoy keeping your money in your wallet. If so I would buy an RSTuner and do it yourself.

I have used the RSTuner on all 3 clios 172s I have had and worth it every time. By the time you sell it on again only cost around £80/90 so a lot less than the £358 K-Tec charge.

Not trying to knock the work of the tuning companies, but unless you are having the car mapped to suit timing adjustments, cams, TB etc then do not see the justification in the cost of a 'live' map.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Incorrectly.
Imagine you had mapped everything iteration and variance of a car. Would you start from the cal again, or use the existing map that you developed and place it on that car and use that as a base? That’s exactly what Paul @ RSTuning does.
There is no huge variance between car a with a intercooler and arguements sake a 15t turbo than car b with the same spec. Minor tweaks are needed.
You are paying for the development time, not the time on the rollers

In most other lines of work you wouldn’t query speed of execution, yet bizarrely it is in this.

edit: spellink

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing.

Of course he's going to start with a base map and then tweak from there.

I'm talking probably 5+ years ago now so he may do things differently, but he 100% used to get the licences from Henk to start with and then tweak them.

Nothing wrong with his work though.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
I wasn't saying it was a bad thing.

Of course he's going to start with a base map and then tweak from there.

I'm talking probably 5+ years ago now so he may do things differently, but he 100% used to get the licences from Henk to start with and then tweak them.

Nothing wrong with his work though.
No he didn’t.
RStuner ( Henk ) supplied the slave box to RStuning ( Paul ) to allow a lock to be applied to the ECU map to facilitate IP protection on the map.
That’s the only link.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
No he didn’t.
RStuner ( Henk ) supplied the slave box to RStuning ( Paul ) to allow a lock to be applied to the ECU map to facilitate IP protection on the map.
That’s the only link.

I must have heard him wrong when i was talking to him at the time.

2011 it was. 9 years ago 👀

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Theres various stories from people everywhere where their cars have been "remapped" in 30/45 mins which included 3 power runs🤦‍♂️😂

I've heard they just upload a shite flash map and make minor tweaks so the numbers on the AFR etc look good

From my experience in the car scene, using a base map isn't anything new. If anything, depending on who's doing the work, you're better off that they do.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
So all this has got me wanting to get an RSTuner, what in every day driving will I notice as a difference for my £90‐100?