ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ktec Solid Top Mounts - Slight Problem

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

Fitted my Ktec racing solid topmounts on the weekend.
They are the older, gold style, bought off a member on here.
There is now noticably more knocking on the front end than with the standard mounts.

There was no play, and the bearings in the mounts were smooth and greased up before they went on.

I went round each and every bolt to make sure it was tight before taking it for a quick spin to see what they were like.

They feel a hell of a lot better. But they knock like a goodun, over every single bump I manage to find.

Is this normal?

Or is something terribly wrong?

Cheers!

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Thats not normal.

Mine are silent. Creek a bit at car park speed on a trackday at the end of a session but leave them 5 mins and that goes away.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
How is best to remove them to inspect them?

I presume the car has to be off the ground?

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Nickson,

The best thing to do is pop over and we will have a look. As they were purchased second hand we cannot swap them over under warranty but I am sure we will be able to sort something out for you.

Sean.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
could they be in upside down?

Not possible as they can only bolt down one way..

As proof :p

img2011020500233.jpg

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
This happened my Gold set, but only one side :S I rang Sean and all was replaced/fixed within a few days at a mates :)

We could check for play in the mount my jacking the car up and moving the wheel about. Mostly when the wheel was moving up & down

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
This happened my Gold set, but only one side :S I rang Sean and all was replaced/fixed within a few days at a mates :)

We could check for play in the mount my jacking the car up and moving the wheel about. Mostly when the wheel was moving up & down

Will have a play when I get home, see if I can get them to move about!

Before they went on there was no play in the bearing!

are they fitted to coilovers? if so which ones?

They are indeed!
Fitted to GAZ GHA's. No problems with fitting them whatsoever!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yes the bearing does seem fine in your hand, but theres a lot more force on the bearing when fitted to the car than in anyones hands I'd imagine ;) lol

ITB'd MK1
I ask about the coilovers, as fitting solid top mounts often highlights faults shocks. Seen it a lot with H&R, and GAZ are just nasty to start with so it's a serious consideration

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I ask about the coilovers, as fitting solid top mounts often highlights faults shocks. Seen it a lot with H&R, and GAZ are just nasty to start with so it's a serious consideration

Ah ok thanks mate.
They were fitted about 2 months ago now, and had been freshly refurbed before I fitted them.

I know this as I had to pay the £160 refurb fee!

There were no problems before the fitting of the solid mounts, except the normal knocking fron the standards.

Will be mighty annoyed if they have started leaking already!

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Nickson,

Just having had a look at the pic you posted it appears you haven't got the correct top nut fitted, the original is a 1" non thread locked machined unit which matches the ID of the spherical bearing, do you have the original nuts with the top mounts?

Sean.

Give us a call and we will see what we can do.

Last edited:

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Nickson,

Just having had a look at the pic you posted it appears you haven't got the correct top nut fitted, the original is a 1" non thread locked machined unit which matches the ID of the spherical bearing, do you have the original nuts with the top mounts?

Sean.

Give us a call and we will see what we can do.

The nut you are referring to is underneath that top nut!

They can be seen in this picture here :)

img2011020400226.jpg

I have emailed workshop@ktec blah blah for a quote to get some work done, reply here:

Hello Nick,

We would be happy to look at the top mounts for you while you are here and the cost to have the other work done would be £162 inc VAT.

Not sure if you have anything to do with those or can read the emails.

I need to bring it in to get some other stuff done to it, coilovers setting up etc, but there is no point getting that done until the top mounts are sorted is there?

Cheers Sean!

Nick