ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KTR drilled rear disc's BAD NEWS...!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
yeah plus that ted guy had to pay to send them the broken disks, btw they look they have done more that 7.5k miles, or you have had soem really crummy pads fitted fromt eh looks of the scratches over them disc's, i have never had discs that are all scratched up and worn oddly like that and why would you have drilled discs on the rear

I'm guessing the scratching occured at the MOT center, or afterwards, due to investigating the cracks?

Correct. pads fitted were EBC pads as supplied for KTR. Which have bedding in compound on to.

And i can happy confirm all road 7.5k mileage.

Mk2 172
right, hang on one minute here

how do the big boys (such as brembo, AP, Wilwood, Baer, Stoptech, Hispec etc etc etc etc etc) make drilled disks?

ask yourself that

my mate has a GT3 porker and he got fed up of the stock drilled brembos cracking (supplied and fitted by porsche) so had custom bells made and now uses AP grooved discs instead (i think they're AP rotors anyway)

its highly common for drilled disks to crack, especially on "high end" cars, the amaount of F360 rotors we get through per year is mad!

Yeah the standard porka brakes are absolute crap. My dad had a 996 turbo and the discs cracked to pieces on that. He upgraded to as you said AP grooved rotors and new bells. solved the problem full stop :)
He now has an e46 M3 with standard drilled discs and they have done exactly the same and so has my mates M3. they upgraded to the AP racing grooved and once again its problem solved. drilled discs are rubbish!!!

Mk2 172
Next time anyone takes a trip to the ring take a look at all the serious trackday porsche owners and have a look at there brakes. 99% will have binned the standard rotors and will have the AP racing ones that have little C shapes cut into them. There supposed to be awesome

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 1.2 16v failed an MOT on both front disks being cracked to f**k, Black Diamond drilled and grooved disks, wont touch drilled disks again! lucky they had a lip and were needing replaced anyway so wasnt a great loss!

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
OK guys lets get a couple of things straight.

Yes we do have discs drilled at our machine shop. To date we have had less than 5 failures over a 4 year period and in all cases this has been down to a binding rear caliper causing just one of the rear discs to crack. The binding of the caliper is NOT severe enough to cause a car to fail an MOT brake test but it enough to generate excessive heat in the disc. If this was a disc problem we would have both rear discs cracking regularly and if that were to happen we would not offer them.

The discs in question were purchased OVER 18 months ago and we cover the discs with a 12 month guarantee. Please tell me of a brake company who puts more than a 12 month guarantee on their parts.

We have several sources for rear discs and will only use ones we have tried on our own cars as there is a lot of cheap rubbish about. Yes we may sometimes send discs out in Renault boxes as we have dozens of Renault brake boxes here from where we have fitted standard discs to cars in our workshop. It is always good to recycle packaging.

I hope this clears up a few points.

David.

Last edited:
Thanks David for your response, with the pair on the rear of my car one was crack and the other warped. Which would point to equal amounts of heat being placed upon each disc?

It’s the type of failure which is in question .e.g. catastrophic failure. I have spoken to Renault UK about this practice of machining rear discs. And they are looking into it. They have actually asked for discs in question to be sent to them for further investigation.

So I'll be contacting you direct to arrange collection so that I can forward them on.

Regards

Ted aka. Simon Phillip

Clio F1 R27
Thanks David for your response, with the pair on the rear of my car one was crack and the other warped. Which would point to equal amounts of heat being placed upon each disc?

It’s the type of failure which is in question .e.g. catastrophic failure. I have spoken to Renault UK about this practice of machining rear discs. And they are looking into it. They have actually asked for discs in question to be sent to them for further investigation.

So I'll be contacting you direct to arrange collection so that I can forward them on.

Regards

Ted aka. Simon Phillip

The discs are of 18 months old mate, what leg have you got to stand on? I don't blame Ktec for not offering a refund. You are out of warranty by six months!

Have you ensured your car has been topped up on brake fluid and the right type?

I've had drilled Ktec discs on the front of my 172 for 6 months and have recently fitted them to the rear. I've not seen any problems with them at all, they are superb. If they do begin to crack after 18 months then I'm not gonna complain.

Arn't drilled discs proven to be weaker but better for breaking force? I wash my car every week and check these things rather than leaving it to an mot failure...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Im not exactly sure what Renault UK are going to do.

Its like me buying a chipped wii and asking nintendo to fix it when it breaks.
Not going to happen, David has been more than fair imho.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

Regards

Ted aka. Simon Phillip

Simon, I have sent you a PM. Please have a read and get back to me and by all means get the guy from Renault to give me a call. I would also like to hear their response to their cracking cross drilled Megane 225 discs.

David.

Last edited:
  Trophy #473
not just drilled that crack!

102_0822.jpg

;)

JW

ITB 172 Cup & 197 FF
TBH mate i dont blame K-Tec as you have had the brakes for 18 months. And a 12 month warranty seems fine to me...

You have had them for 18 months and then phone them up and say they have cracked...

And K-tec and the people who have them havent really had any problems with them...

How do they know your not just trying to get a free set of brakes off them as yours have cracked? As as far as there aware you have had them on your car for 18 months...

Focus RS mk1
only just seen this thread, im little worried now, i have the ktr cross drilled discs on the front and i give them some stick but no cracks yet, all the holes have blue heat patches around them but they are fine and im positive ive had them glowing! i can see how heat on the rear ones could affect them as they are not vented but surely the rears cant produce anywhere near as much heat as the front, personaly i would stick to standard rear discs and uprated pads

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Can't believe the disc in that pic was left on long enough to crack - knackered old piece of p00 which was only using about half the contact area!

Just for everyone's information

David and I resolved this situation amicably. Were both sides were happy.

I thank David again for his time and patience’s, And also for his companies great service.

Because of this I've already been back to KTEC to purchase yet more of their quality products.

Regards

Teds ( Si )