ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KTR top mounts - worth it?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just wondering if they are worth the purchase price and fitting over OEM top mounts? Pretty sure that one of mine is squeaking now (driver's side) and would want to get it sorted, but I'm loathe to drill into to the turret tops for the KTR ones to be fitted.

Anyone do it and highly recommended them? Likewise, anyone thought they were a waste of time?

Cheers.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
There are solid top mounts that don't need drilling. No idea if they're any good though.
Dire - avoid at all costs.
1 side didnt tighten up enough, (not enough thread) so I had to make up spacers to get them to tighten, even then they were impossible to tighten up efficiently, I ended up drilling and tapping grub screws in to stop them coming loose.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
On a positive, solid top mounts make a huge difference in steering feel and feedback, so definitely go with an upgrade. I use the Ktec ones as they mandated for the race series, no complaints.
I have my old ones of above you can have for £30, or a set of BC/AST style ones that do camber adjustment also for £120.

It's annoying, the stock arrangement is awful, but the Ktec style solution uses a spherical bearing with limited protection which is prone to wear once it gets wet/dirty.

I ran them on my track car and they were great once I'd replaced the knackered bearings with some genuine SKF ones. Not convinced I'd use them on a road car that saw lots of miles.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
In order to make them more daily driver freindly could you fit a gaiter to keep water and road crud out of them?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
You will lose comfort obviously, but for the improvements it's worth it if you can live with it.
I don't think there's any avoiding drilling the turrets if your wanting to go down the solid route. I have the PMS mounts and brace, gets a bit tight to fit the brace but it goes on/in eventually.

In order to make them more daily driver freindly could you fit a gaiter to keep water and road crud out of them?
Not really. There is a metal splash shield below them if I recall to keep the worst away and I got SKF 'sealed' bearings with lip seals but be prepared for fairly regular changes, preceeded by a knocking noise that'll make you cringe

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Not really. There is a metal splash shield below them if I recall to keep the worst away and I got SKF 'sealed' bearings with lip seals but be prepared for fairly regular changes, preceeded by a knocking noise that'll make you cringe
I reckon that's the knocking I currently have. It's certainly making me cringe. The roads around here are so bad I'm considering going back to oem mounts as I doubt the pms bearings will last 4k again.

It's unmistakable as theres nothing to dull it like a balljoint or TRE, its a 'connected' metallic knocking over bumps like a drop link on a typical car but 1000 times worse

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Well I definitely can't hide the knocking. It happens more when I'm on and off the throttle. I need to pull the dampers off and check them anyway as its doing my head in. Any info on the SKF sealed bearings? I've got the new style pms top mounts.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Who'd have a mk2 RS for a road car though?!
200.gif

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member