ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KTR Tuning Packages! WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
it really is each to there own, just think some people love bodykits £500 + fancy paint £1000 + big stupid wheels £800+ then boom boom systems anythink £1000 up.

Not my cup of tea so buy s/c

White Evo V
IMO an LSD is not needed. Traction in the dry is suprising, not much different to traction in a standard 172! Obviously it will make it easier to drive and grip a bit better but it's £1000+ that is not needed to be spent!

Black 172 PH2
Everyone who has had a SC conversion has always said how good it is.
I haven't seen anyone as of yet regret getting it done, or wish they'd spent money on something else.

Go and have a proper test drive in one.
People will say yes and no, but its your money, no one else's.

williams 2,seat leon
went for a go in a supercharged 182 done by gdi/ktec. blinding bit of kit. was very different to my turbo as far as power delivery goes. turns a quick car to a effing quick car. can see why a few more so called faster cars have been scalped by these. if i were to buy a 172/182, i would def go for this conversion.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
It's all down to choice, I see people make decisions every day I think are stupid and pointless but to those people they are wise, smart choices that suit them and their plans/personality.

This is no different.

Can't understand why the haters are so vocal about it though, if it's not for you why tell everyone ten times a minute?

Given the option if I had 4k right now I'd be in two minds for sure - me as a person likes to tinker with the norm so i'd either have the conversion or something different but just as unusual/non mainstream.

To compare an m3 with a s/c clio is like comparing my carpet to your loo roll holder - you can't so why are you trying ;)

audi a6 3.0tdi
i went out in a zcar's type r engined mini and as that was set up well it handled the power amazingly well and cornered well. The power to weight in one of those is higher than a supercharged clio so aslong as the clio is set up well it should be able to handle the power easily. It all depends if people supercharge the clio and leave stock brakes and supension. I'd sooner just buy an evo but thats how i am, i'm not into chucking loads of money at i car i rather just buy one which is designed to do a given task.

Power is nothing with out control, and speed doesn't automatically mean fun.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
It's all down to choice, I see people make decisions every day I think are stupid and pointless but to those people they are wise, smart choices that suit them and their plans/personality.

This is no different.

Can't understand why the haters are so vocal about it though, if it's not for you why tell everyone ten times a minute?

Given the option if I had 4k right now I'd be in two minds for sure - me as a person likes to tinker with the norm so i'd either have the conversion or something different but just as unusual/non mainstream.

To compare an m3 with a s/c clio is like comparing my carpet to your loo roll holder - you can't so why are you trying ;)

Agreed

Andy

Ph 1 172
If i had the cash id go for it...lets be honest who is going to have the last laugh the people on here saying its a waste of money or you the day you pull along side another 172/182/197/200 from this sie and you hand whoever is driving it there arse on a plate when your supercharger kicks in.
surely a 4k cup and a 4k supercharger would be considerably faster than anything car you can buy for 8k?

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
go for it, it sounds like fun and if you have £4k spare then its sounds like fro £6.5k you would have an epic car.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If i had the cash id go for it...lets be honest who is going to have the last laugh the people on here saying its a waste of money or you the day you pull along side another 172/182/197/200 from this sie and you hand whoever is driving it there arse on a plate when your supercharger kicks in.
surely a 4k cup and a 4k supercharger would be considerably faster than anything car you can buy for 8k?
You're not reading clearly. No-one's denied it would be very, very fast. Merely questioning the point of a very, very fast FWD car? Will it be any more enjoyable because it's faster in a straight line? Not for me. Other will enjoy that, fair enough.

And honestly, who would care if your clio was slightly quicker in a straight line?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
RS Focus has 300bhp and FWD, Astra VXR has 220 and people tune to 300?
A good point. But they were designed for big power. The focus has the revoknuckle and lsd, yet I'm told still torquesteers. Yet a clio with a 10yr old design doesn't. Why did Ford waste all those millions on R+D??

The VXR has 240ish bhp. And is s**t to drive lol.

320d
Go for it mate. Its something different and its only £4K you could lose that amount of money in a year if you bought something like a new Focus ST or something.

120d M Sport
You're not reading clearly. No-one's denied it would be very, very fast. Merely questioning the point of a very, very fast FWD car? Will it be any more enjoyable because it's faster in a straight line? Not for me. Other will enjoy that, fair enough.

And honestly, who would care if your clio was slightly quicker in a straight line?

Probably the person who pays to have the S/C kit fitted in the first place. Which is all that matters. Those who like their Clio enough to spend that sort of money on it, fair enough to them.

A good point. But they were designed for big power. The focus has the revoknuckle and lsd, yet I'm told still torquesteers. Yet a clio with a 10yr old design doesn't. Why did Ford waste all those millions on R+D??

yeah but they are designed so any idiot can drive them..yes less torque steer but mine handles with very little torque steer with just a few choice mods.
i think your also comparing a 25,000 grand car to a 8.5k package..and i think mine will eat the RS..lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
yeah but they are designed so any idiot can drive them..yes less torque steer but mine handles with very little torque steer with just a few choice mods.
i think your also comparing a 25,000 grand car to a 8.5k package..and i think mine will eat the RS..lol
I didn't actually bring up the Focus fella, was someone else.

I'll be honest, I don't believe that they don't torque steer.

Qashcow
im of the optinion that im never selling my clio, if want an evo or another GTR, i will save and have 2 cars. so, IMO, having a fooking fun SC'd clio that costs more than double the value of the original car, im still up for it.

the problem is, if you buy an evo etc, you'll still want more power and end up spending £10k+ on that, which is more than the cost of the car again.

why is it with a 1000bhp skyline or supra, everyone wanks over it and doesnt point out youve spent £100,000 on a £9k car!?!?

Clio 172
whats the life expectancy on a 172's engine with supercharger?

tbh id love a supercharged clio, the power, the noise and the fun of racing etc!

in my opinion its a lot of money to spend and if it was cheaper alot more people would get it done.

ITB BG 182
I dont know which option to go for, i will no doubt be talking to andy soon about it.
I like how people are saying you can get better cars with blah blah blah for x amount of money.
Yet if people plan on keeping their clio for what ever amount of time and would like some thing fun with it and its their money then fair enough, go for it and have fun.

Also why do people turn to BMW's saying they are the most fun for money.
Has anyone driven rear engined gsx1300r turbo'd mini? Now they are immense.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
whats the life expectancy on a 172's engine with supercharger?

tbh id love a supercharged clio, the power, the noise and the fun of racing etc!

in my opinion its a lot of money to spend and if it was cheaper alot more people would get it done.

You have a choice of spend however

Throttle bodies coming in at £1900 + vat now, and you get a nice gain in power.

the supercharger kit is excellent value for what you get now, a fantastic performance gain with high quality components.

It cant be made cheaper without loosing out in some manner.

Andy

RB 182
At the end of the day who gives a toss what people pay on their car? No matter how much or little... As long as it makes them smile and it's what they want, fair play to them. Each person has their own reason for doing so.

I'd say go for it once you have tried it, try other engine packages such as ITB's, Turbo, and even a well set up non-modded car. That way you will feel for what suits you better.

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
im of the optinion that im never selling my clio, if want an evo or another GTR, i will save and have 2 cars. so, IMO, having a fooking fun SC'd clio that costs more than double the value of the original car, im still up for it.

the problem is, if you buy an evo etc, you'll still want more power and end up spending £10k+ on that, which is more than the cost of the car again.

why is it with a 1000bhp skyline or supra, everyone w**ks over it and doesnt point out youve spent £100,000 on a £9k car!?!?

Id love to s/c my cup if i could afford it. Cant be assed going down the road of tuning an impreza again! Gonna keep my cup till it dies! Or a P1 drops to about £5000!;)

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
IMO an LSD is not needed. Traction in the dry is suprising, not much different to traction in a standard 172! Obviously it will make it easier to drive and grip a bit better but it's £1000+ that is not needed to be spent!

Along the same lines, Have you driven a Clio with a LSD?

Ive never driven a supercharged clio, but assume that the LSD will make the same (if not more differance) than it did in or ITB'd car id say its money well spent.

Back to the supercharged clios.

I can see why people want to a do, which is fair enough. Weve spent a fortune on our car.

So drive one and if you feel the need for the power get it done, then track it and find out what it can do.

JB

RB 182 Cup

The VXR's capabilities (or lack of) are more down to the chassis setup than the fact that it has over 200bhp. Is this right?

All of the models, not just the VXR were understeering barges.

Sort out the rear suspension and the thing should turn like most of them. Which Vauxhall seem to have done with the new Astra.

If I could afford to SC the Clio then I would, and I'm sure a lot of people would. I would be a bit wary of the power. So as it stands I'll hopefully be getting ITBS instead, a nice gentle 200bhp :rasp:

Last edited:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
If you want more power I say go for it, personally I wouldn't do it at the moment as i don't go on track and don't have any money.

All this "you could get something faster for 8k" is crap cos you already have the car so you aint going to be spending 8k, you're just spending 4k. You got an amazing bargain on the car. Like you said the car owes you nothing. Plus what would be as fast and as fun for 6k which is what you are actually spending (buying car included)?

My opinion is go test drive the k-tec one and if you like it then buy it (the kit). In a couple of months/track days if you feel a LSD would help then get one. Then go have as much fun as you can, and enjoy making the M3's etc.. look silly!

On a separate note and sorry if its been covered but how do the gearbox, drive shafts, clutch etc... deal with the extra torque?

White Evo V
Ive covered 5000 miles in mine and mines running 0.6bar - 260 bhp now. No problems as yet apart from 2 gearboxes so far - in 7 months, but I know someone who rebuilds them for me for £160 - Bonus!

IMO drive one and you will want it! If you cant drive one then just a passenger ride WILL persuade you! Trust me, its immense! :D

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
the 1st SC car that had been done had done 100k and has now done about 13k miles and is still on OE clutch and same box, no problems.....

Z4
My opinion is go test drive the k-tec one and if you like it then buy it (the kit). In a couple of months/track days if you feel a LSD would help then get one. Then go have as much fun as you can, and enjoy making the M3's etc.. look silly!

It'd have a very similar bhp/ton as a standard M3, and you'd still be driving a clio, you wouldn't be showing up many M3s...!

I'm putting my money into buying an e46 M3, performance, style, refinement, bragging rights, and i won't loose too much cash when it comes to selling on.

Saying that, the thought of a S/C clio is excellent, it's just not for me, doesn't make much sense, financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.