ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KVM switch options?

Focus ST-3
I'm looking for any opinions/experience with KVM switches..

What I have;
2 PC's
2 monitors
1 mouse
1 keyboard

What I want;
To hook both pcs up to both monitors with a switch allowing me to choose which PC is being displayed - Sharing the mouse and keyboard (and audio) between the 2 pcs.

I have found one that looks like it would do the job but the reviews are pretty poor. I ideally would like both PC's to be displayed dual screen (extended desktop) but would be happy enough with just switching one monitor. What I'm looking for is some <£100 suggestions from people who have experienced them and can tell me if they are any good/have lasted.

It strictly has to be DVI or HDMI only, no VGA (min 1920 x 1080). Has to support USB and audio and be a cheap as possible.

Here is what I was looking at, but it gets bad reviews which I think are partly down to the moronic DVI locations. The inputs are on the back and the outputs on the front which is just stupid really.
http://uk.startech.com/Server-Manag...-KVM-Switch-with-Audio-and-Cables~SV211KDVIGB

Cupra
Can you just RDP to the second PC from the first one? As long as you aren't watching video then you shouldn't have a problem and it's free.

It does depend on which OS you are using though as only Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise have the proper multi monitor support, with the lower versions only allowing for a Span across the monitors, which is s**t as every new windows pops up in the middle of the two screens.

Focus ST-3
Can you just RDP to the second PC from the first one? As long as you aren't watching video then you shouldn't have a problem and it's free.

It does depend on which OS you are using though as only Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise have the proper multi monitor support, with the lower versions only allowing for a Span across the monitors, which is s**t as every new windows pops up in the middle of the two screens.

Sorry, should have said, one will be for gaming only, the other for everything else - Music production, web browsing, music, etc. RDP wouldn't cut it I don't think.