ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lack of power at low revs ( 182 )

Fabia vrs tdi
maybe its just me and im not used to the 182 yet but at low revs up to 3k seems pretty poor its only above 3.5k the power kicks in and not sure if this is normal or if its coz im used to driving my 1.4 corsa sri and had to thrash it to within an inch of its life to get from 0-60 before i died of boredum.

my gf seems to think my corsa is faster after she drove it today and to be fair i drove it again and it does feel quick but maybe just coz it sounds fast and loud

corsa seems to have more power at low revs

172 Cup (Iceberg)
That's normal. They are tame until you get to (on my 172 Cup) about 4k, they call it the kick.

Fabia vrs tdi
hmmm shame im going to have to do something about this, perhaps my ordered ktec supersports might help and a remap

Astra SRI/ Hornet
A 182 would never seem slower than a 1.4 corsa
to 60 mine flies. Lol your either not driving it right or ya have a s**t car. Cos 180bhp in a small car shouldn't feel slow.

172 ff
yeh sounds right they like 2 be reved high thats were the power is.just keep an eye on the revs,when u hit about 4.5 to 5 k the 4th cam comes in and thats when u just see lesser moters dissaper top fun

As said, the RS's are pretty poor at low RPM, you can get it mapped to smooth out the power curve so you've got more grunt at lower RPM but you'd then lose the "5k kick". It really shouldn't feel slower than a 1.4 Corsa at any revs though :S

Fabia vrs tdi
its only in my gf's opinion

with new zaust on seems to be better at low revs due to old zaust being fuucked in center section

S4 Avant
yeh sounds right they like 2 be reved high thats were the power is.just keep an eye on the revs,when u hit about 4.5 to 5 k the 4th cam comes in and thats when u just see lesser moters dissaper top fun

The 4th cam ay?

No offence to your GF, but if she thinks a 1.4 Corsa was faster, then she probably doesn't know how to get the power out of it properly. As said, they don't really come alive until 5k.

DCi 100
Even my 1.2 with it's small engine is like this low down, depending on what gear it's about 3/3.3k for any sort of pull.

R26
Im not surprised by your GF's comment tbh. You've really gotta adapt to how you drive them. I almost SOLD my 182 during my first week of ownership because I thought it was the slowest piece of crap! At town speed (as in "s**t need to change lanes quickly) its impossible to get any sort of power unless you change into first

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my mrs 1.6 16v clio pulls well from 500rpm but yet my old 172 was lumpy and dead bellow 3k then it surged forward untill 5k when it was explosive lol its because it has wilder cams, the vvt system could have been better to cope with this, i beleive it is in the 197.

a 182 exhaust manifold will help bring the power down a bit and give a good chunk of mid range power but it wont sort out the bottom end, nothing will really, people have been having good results from an RStuner remap for low down torque right enough!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
hmm, when was it last serviced? oil might need changed?

Was thinking about spark plugs as well as oil.

My car was serviced last week and it is now far better in the lower revvs.

It kinda depends on what you think slow is as well.

R26
people have been having good results from an RStuner remap for low down torque right enough!

RS Tuner remap did make a small difference to low down torque, worth the money. Its just the nature of the car, no basic mod is going to radically improve it

As said above, just depends what your previous car was. Mine was a Turbo Diesel and a Turbo Petrol with shove from 1.5K so the 182 seemed pathetic.......much more fun top end tho ;)

Fabia vrs tdi
she doesnt go above 3krmp ever in the 182 so no wonder she thinks it slow, low down power seems better with new zaust on

Golf GTD Mk7
lol what does she know ;) Women. Tell her to use a little more right foot and a little less judgement. It's like vtecs, and ztecs, you need to get the revs high to get the power. AS said it's due to cam profile and engine mapping. If it really bothers her, get her to chip in 1k for some new cams and remap ;). Inlets matching, zorst and filter make a little bit of difference in lower revs. You need to spend decent money on these cars to get the most out of them to be honest.

Fabia vrs tdi
im selling a kidney for rs tuners £3500 supercharger conversion, might have find a dog to shag my boxer and sell some puppies

120d M-Sport
As said, the RS's are pretty poor at low RPM, you can get it mapped to smooth out the power curve so you've got more grunt at lower RPM but you'd then lose the "5k kick". It really shouldn't feel slower than a 1.4 Corsa at any revs though :S

This makes me think my car has been re-mapped because since ive had it ive never noticed a 5k kick. Just has instant power and pulls the same all through the RPM range.

Could all be in my head but once it hits 5k i never notice a difference in how it picks up :S lol

@ OP good choice on the supercharger :D

Fabia vrs tdi
well my car only has a slight dip in power now after new exhaust coz my old exhasut had collapsed in centre section, but dont notice lack of power now

clio sport 172
all sprts have variable valve timming so the power is only in hi revs so it sounds nomal but servise does help