ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lack of power/Spluttering

Clio dCi 100
Hi guys,

Hopefully someone may have an idea. Girlfriend just started the car, idled OK but when she went to pull away it was like she was in 5th (she was in 1st), she managed to get the car home so then I jumped in and had to keep my foot planted to the floor to pull away but even then I was only doing 5-10mph, and there was lots of clanking and the girlfriend said black smoke was coming out of the exhaust. After 50m or so car sprang to life and drove like normal while I took it for a quick spin around the block.

Car is a 2004 1.5dci if that helps?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy

Clio dCi 100
Nope already checked, definately put petrol in it. She filled up on Monday and has done 100 miles since so hopefully rules that out? Could it be dirt or something in the fuel filter?

Sounds like a fuel pressure problem.. black smoke is possibly unburnt fuel, which could be a blocked air filter or and injector problem.. one other thing to check is the EGR valve.. they get carboned up and eventually get stuck open or closed which ruins performance.

R35 GTR
I reckon the flux capacitor could be burnt out. Cheese strings are a good substitute till you can get it to the garage.

ValverInBits
On a serious note. I don't really know much about diesels, but a lack of power and a splutter, or no power at all below certain RPM normally points to a Lambda sensor.

Age and mileage?

ValverInBits
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem.. black smoke is possibly unburnt fuel, which could be a blocked air filter or and injector problem.. one other thing to check is the EGR valve.. they get carboned up and eventually get stuck open or closed which ruins performance.

Very common on diesels

Clio dCi 100

Very common on diesels

Will check air filter tomorrow. What can I do about the injectors? I mean't to say she put Diesel in for the wise guys!!! :dapprove::) Thanks for all the ideas though! Oh it's a 54 plate done 30k miles.

clio 182 +cup packs
if its the flux capacitor the best people to see are dr Emmett Brown and Marty Mcfly, they really know their shizzle!!

did any warning lights come on? this happened to me when i was down in newquay, stalled it going up a hill as it was so slow and then it worked fine after that, the warning light went off.