ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop from PC world - is my Windows 7 really fake?

White clique
Hi all,

I got a laptop from PC world just under a year ago, just a cheap notebook Dell Inspiron mini. Anyway it ships with Windows 7, and over the past few days the backscreen has gone black and a message flashes up everytime i log in warning me that my copy of Windows 7 is not genuine, and asks if i want to buy a genuine copy (takes me to the windows site).

Is this some kind of ghey virus to make me buy another fake copy, or can this sometimes happen to laptops. The Windows software should be permanent right?

I cant imagine Dell ship out laptops with fake windows copies. Is there a way to check if something is amiss?

A red missile
Sounds like either a virus or some tool messing with remote assistance - have you got that switched off? - from memory the dimwits at microshat have it turned on by default, that said I recall someone at work saying pretty much the same thing as you last week, but trying to explain remote assistance to them would be like explaining superstring theory to a 4 year old.

p.s. theres no way on earth Dell would be sending out snide versions of windows.

White clique
thanks woodentop, there does seem to be something moody about this though, i have a pop up message on an icon on my task bar that takes me directly to the same page as the one you posted, and my norton 360 didnt pick anything up.

I actually think there is something not right with my windows (not that i actually use any of it, its just annoying to get the message every time i log in telling me the software is counterfeit.

At the bottom right of my screen is permanently displayed:

windows 7
build 7600
this copy of windows is not genuine

and a nice black wallpaper.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i would first try and re-activate it, right click on my computer and click properties, it shows whether windows is genuine at the bottom of the page and what key is being used.

If its an MS issue then ring the activation line.

If windows is infected with malware, good luck.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Quick fix is download a WAT remover (windows activation remover) and basically it just thinks its genuine anyway! (pretty sure updates will still work with this aswell.

White clique
It doesnt give me the chance to re activate, it just takes me to the official windows site and offers me the chance to buy a copy. I'll give your suggestion a shot rhys.

If that fails then meh, i'll bung one of the helpdesk techies at work £20 to have a look, thats what they did last time and they actually really enjoyed it!

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Edit - DK when i do what you said about right click, on my properties at the bottom of the screen it says you must activate today and hyperlinks. When i click that another message pops up and says this copy of windows is not genuine and gives me the option to go online and resolve - which takes me to the MS site to buy a license.