ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

laptops

I am thinking of getting a laptop ive seen them in dixons for 400quid what do think? i need someone who knows a bit about em.Whets the downside to laptops and whats the stuff i need to look out for.cheers bye

Golf GTI 1.8T
Love mine, from Dell a month ago, no problems with it. 17" widescreen

IMG_2149.jpg

Whatever you do don't buy one from Tiny or any company connected with Watford electronics
(off topic I know but still).

Ford Fiesta
benclelland said:
That's not a bad system, do you know if it's got a spare slot for another 1Gb of RAM?

not sure mate, any easy way to tell without taking it apart?

that would be a huge amount of ram then wouldnt it!!!!

why would you need so much?

(mobile meter, found here, http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/ doesnt show cpu temp, any reason why? Ive read some dont allow programs to read it?)

also anyone know of a decent free, desktop temp monitor?

im looking to spend no more then £500 cos im very poor now that im a jobless traveling gypo type person.can you get more ram later on ? For now i just need it for internet and storing pictures.I would like to splash out on a £800er but just cant afford it.

Ford Fiesta
steamywindows said:
im looking to spend no more then £500 cos im very poor now that im a jobless traveling gypo type person.can you get more ram later on ? For now i just need it for internet and storing pictures.I would like to splash out on a £800er but just cant afford it.

there are plenty of systems that will do what you want to do im sure for that money. Especially this time of year. You can buy more RAM later yeah, never added any in a laptop though, think it is more expensive to do than a desktop pc.

Thats a decent system by looks of it!

:)

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Ive this one for sale if its any good to you. Ive had it a year:

Hi mate,

Ive this laptop for sale. Ive had it a year now and has served me well. No porblems to report apart from some tiny little scratches on the outer lid.

A laptop with this spec is still over a grand ont eh Dell website (although they have now changed the monitor to 15" widescreen)

Centrino Pentium 4m 1.6ghz
DVD Drive & CD-RW Combo
40Gb
1Gb RAM (2 x 512mb modules)
Infrared
2 x USB
32mb ATI Radeon
14" SXGA screen
Modem
Wireless internet LAN card
XP Home with COA
Dell Carry case
Battery last for 1hr 30 mins surfing the internet wirelessly.

£475

dell%20d600.jpg

Golf GTI 1.8T
^^^ Thats a very good deal, must be the older version of mine(pic above) but mine was too much money really. £859 with bluetooth module.....

RB 182
Liam182 said:
not sure mate, any easy way to tell without taking it apart?

that would be a huge amount of ram then wouldnt it!!!!

why would you need so much?

(mobile meter, found here, http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/ doesnt show cpu temp, any reason why? Ive read some dont allow programs to read it?)

also anyone know of a decent free, desktop temp monitor?

The work that I do requires lots of RAM (as much as possible).

i dont know owt about internet connections either i need to see someone at pc world really to tell me how it works.Im just going to get one from shop its easy with warrenty and stuff get it in for sale someone will have it thanks 4 offer tho.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
mitchzxr said:
^^^ Thats a very good deal, must be the older version of mine(pic above) but mine was too much money really. £859 with bluetooth module.....

The new Dell widescreen laptops are gorgeous though. I just wouldnt like to be paying for one myself.

But Dell do seem to be doing the best deals at the minute especially if you keep an eye out for the online discounts codes.

Golf GTI 1.8T
^^ Yeah I know what you mean, I didn't really shop around just had my eye on this. The laptop you are selling is very close to my spec actually. The thing that made me get this was that I'm using it at home the most so wanted the 17" widescreen for ease, and also when I went to pc world out of the 25 laptops they had, only 2 had a 17" screen, and they were both toshiba priced at over a £1000, so I thought I must be getting a good deal. Is the easiest laptop I've ever used and the nicest looking (part from apples) because no one else does them in this silver, they are normally dark and dull looking :)

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
mitchzxr said:
^^ Yeah I know what you mean, I didn't really shop around just had my eye on this. The laptop you are selling is very close to my spec actually. The thing that made me get this was that I'm using it at home the most so wanted the 17" widescreen for ease, and also when I went to pc world out of the 25 laptops they had, only 2 had a 17" screen, and they were both toshiba priced at over a £1000, so I thought I must be getting a good deal. Is the easiest laptop I've ever used and the nicest looking (part from apples) because no one else does them in this silver, they are normally dark and dull looking :)

Ive seen and used the new 15" widescreens and was very impressed with them.

You wouldnt fancy lugging around a 17" screen one though but then the vast majority of laptops for home users and used simply as desktop replacements and never move from the desk or couch.

Ford Fiesta
paddymcc said:

You wouldnt fancy lugging around a 17" screen one though but then the vast majority of laptops for home users and used simply as desktop replacements and never move from the desk or couch.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/859526 this one ive just bought and agree if you were going to be truly mobile with it, you'd find the unit a little too big day to day imo.

p.s whats the deal with these dual format dvd drives, what does it mean?

Last edited:
  RB 182
Dual format means you can burn DVD-R and DVD+R, two companies brought them out and neither was a set standard so the both are in a way now.

Golf GTI 1.8T
paddymcc said:

Thats what I used, a friends 15" inspiron 6000 and was so impressed. It's not to bad to carry actually, it only weighs 3.6 kg and those toshiba ones at pc world were 4.6/7kg and a lot more bulky.

Mum got me a really cool kickers carry bag for xmas (another thing hard to find for the 17") but you wouldn't want to use it on a train etc its just too big.