ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

larger wireless area for homehub?

Ph1 172 + Combo van
well ive got a bt homehub in my house downstairs in the office and i have my ps3 upstairs in my bedroom. the ps3 worked perfectly on wireless internet since christmas. about a month ago it has stopped connecting and when it does connect it has low signal strenght and cuts off.

can i extend the wireless range of the bt homehub so the ps3 will get a better signal?
my laptop works in my bedroom right next to the ps3 on wireless.

whats your suggestions? thanks in advance!

Renault meggy
I have also noticed that my HomeHub has a poor wireless range.
Putting it on to channel 11 seems to help abit but it is still really poor

172 cup'd extreme
I find that with thompson routers (homehub) wireless performance really degrades when you have 2 wireless devices next to each other try the ps3 with no other wireless devices turned on.

Revels Mum & Sister
I assume the BT Homehubs dont have an external jack connector for a high gain antenna. From memory they dont.

Could add a bridge or access point to extend it?

MKIII 138

the reason you are suffering is due to co-channel interference you are on ch 11 and that is good to improve as you have changed away from the other channels your neighbours may be on. also you may have an outside interference source but without a spectrum analyser your not going to know.

also with antenna placement dont point it in the direction you think it needs to go. 2.2dbi omnidirectional anntenas supplied with residential gateways (home hubs) are like most antenna in the fact that they radiate horizontally and nothing comes out of the top ! imagine a 360deg image of a donut and you get the general gist.

make sure the recieving antenna is not pointed either and is in the same polarity as the transmitting antenna i.e vertical

other than that, you could always buy a cheap b/g AP from ebay and set to repeater mode. or just move your xbox360 to a better spot.

hope this helps

MKIII 138
I assume the BT Homehubs dont have an external jack connector for a high gain antenna. From memory they dont.

Could add a bridge or access point to extend it?

watch out for high gain antenna you dont want to exceed any local limits or push your coverage area outside your home and no they dont for that reason.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
I find that with thompson routers (homehub) wireless performance really degrades when you have 2 wireless devices next to each other try the ps3 with no other wireless devices turned on.
i dont normally have any other things on with the ps3:S
ill try this and see if it is better thanks!

the reason you are suffering is due to co-channel interference you are on ch 11 and that is good to improve as you have changed away from the other channels your neighbours may be on. also you may have an outside interference source but without a spectrum analyser your not going to know.

also with antenna placement dont point it in the direction you think it needs to go. 2.2dbi omnidirectional anntenas supplied with residential gateways (home hubs) are like most antenna in the fact that they radiate horizontally and nothing comes out of the top ! imagine a 360deg image of a donut and you get the general gist.

make sure the recieving antenna is not pointed either and is in the same polarity as the transmitting antenna i.e vertical

other than that, you could always buy a cheap b/g AP from ebay and set to repeater mode. or just move your xbox360 to a better spot.

hope this helps
the total distance is about 15m maybe but i have concrete walls and concrete floors which i dont think helps the range. i think i need a repeater somewhere else in the hous closer to the ps3.

MKIII 138
u can knock the bt home hub range to over a km!

the wireless dependancy is set really low from factory but you can flash the firmware and turn it up!!

have a read here...

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=22917

well theorectical range is infinate as its electro magnetic ;)

there are majour issues with doing this, just because you can push a signal further doesnt mean it will improve the quality.

secondly there are local legislations, wireless has undergone massive changes in recent years both technically and legislation wise, if you amplify your signal too much apart from letting anyone within a mile see your home network you may break the national regs enforced by ofcom. you are allowed 1w of power max 'inside' business, which is actually a lot. home rules are pretty much the same id guess.

with concrete there is moisture, and thats the thing that reduces wireless signal.

still probably worth while reading that document though as long as your carefull.

or just buy a repeater

Last edited:
  Ph1 172 + Combo van
yeh cheers guys thanks for the help! all problems or queries can be answered on here i love it!