ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LBTurbo, HBTurbo, Supercharger....Change from NA feel?

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Sorry to do my day dreaming on here, I will be doing this at some point but take my time with these things.

Having posted on here and done my research there seem to be 3 main options that seem the most reliable/tested upgrades for proper power that I have seen. Correct me if I am wrong.

So I am looking at
Low Boost Turbo - engine dynamics - 230HP £3379 fitted
High Boost Turbo - engine dynamics - 280HP £5614 fitted
KTEC Supercharger Kit - circa 260HP £5331 fitted

Having had so much fun on the road with my 182 I am obsessed with the idea of making it a really nice road car which is a bit of a sleeper, yes I know that is sad/

I am looking at doing this in the next 12 months I suspect, depending on how well work goes :)

Main question is if anyone has thoughts on how the above (or any other options) affect the feel of the car. I love NA and am not so keen on turbos. I currently drive my Gfs TTS now and then and whilst I do like the care the power delivery on the turbo is really not as exciting as NA in my opinion.

I hear the LBT set up really doesnt feel like a turbo - I also understand its the same main stuff as the 280HP conversion so if you start on the 230 you can take it back to ED later and get more power.

However I cant help wondering whether the supercharger is the better way to retain the character of the 182 whilst adding more power?

Any thoughts on this massively appreciated.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you want that instant power feel then go supercharger. Quite a few of my mates have had low boost and forged/high boost clios and they all ended up breaking them and moving to something else. You need deep pockets and be very thorough when putting them together to keep them going it seems.

I'd be tempted to go down the supercharger route but that would mean removing the AC/PAS or both

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
From what I've read about going higher power than say 200-210, you'd be looking at munching through your gearbox quite quickly, if not careful and possibly needing a LSD to put the power down in a decent manner.

Gearbox upgrade and diff would add another 1600ish pounds to those numbers?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
If it was me, I'd go low boost. Something reliable but nippy. Ask @dann2707 about his 182 that was going on for 300bhp, it totally ruined the experience for him.

I wish I had 5k to spunk on proxy Clio engine. Still thinking about low boosting mine though ;) Looked at all the parts and don't see why it can't be done for around 1k, ED uses Chinese turbo and all the boost piping is standard stuff

Z4x2 & buying a 182
That is my hesitation on the HBT or supercharger, 5.5k is a lot to throw at a clio.

Clio 197
Before you go spending that sort of money, could you not get a drive out in each of the above? I know everyone would like more power but surely there comes a point where

a) you cant actually put it all down
b) it's far too quick for the road

At least this way you can get a better idea of the power delivery too.

Before you go spending that sort of money, could you not get a drive out in each of the above? I know everyone would like more power but surely there comes a point where

a) you cant actually put it all down
b) it's far too quick for the road

At least this way you can get a better idea of the power delivery too.
This.

The point of the French shopping trolleys is that they are a balance of power and handling, and you can use most/all of it most/all of the time.. When you throw 300bhp into a FWD chassis it may well cope, but it means you can't cane the tits off it very often, especially when its not totally dry, which ends up being frustrating and also increasing risk of something untoward happening when/if you're not paying attention.

IMHO, of course :p

Sheen90

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Turbo
I had an ED low boost 172 for a couple of years. Completely reliable throughout including trackdays and ring trips. Didn’t blow any gearboxes up.
It does change the character slightly as you use the power differently but they still handle the same while being quite a bit quicker so I thought it was worth it 🤷🏻‍♂️ Wasn’t any quicker than my Cupra280 so still quite a usable power level as well.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
This.

The point of the French shopping trolleys is that they are a balance of power and handling, and you can use most/all of it most/all of the time.. When you throw 300bhp into a FWD chassis it may well cope, but it means you can't cane the tits off it very often, especially when its not totally dry, which ends up being frustrating and also increasing risk of something untoward happening when/if you're not paying attention.

IMHO, of course :p
This is 100% the best summary and exactly what I would say if I had to review my 285bhp mk2.