ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LCD HD Ready TV's. Need help choosing?.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
Right I might be able to buy a new TV soon and as I have a Xbox 360 I would like a good 32" LCD Ready TV with built in Freeview for my bedroom :). I don't really know much about LCD TV's, What to look for etc...

I have a budget of upto £900. I have been looking at the new Samsung LE32R74BDX from EmpireDirect.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...BDX~dt~Televisions~st~LCD+TV~make~Samsung.htm

Is this a good TV?. I saw in Dixions the other day the Samsung LE32R73BDX and it had ghosting. I presume this was not running a HD signal?. Why is it they had ghosting anyway?.

If anyone can give me some info/advice. I would really appreciate it :).

I have never heard of Aldi. Is a case of "if its cheap, its crap?". I have heard that Sony and Samsung share there panels as well. Is this true?.

RB 182
Well I got my computer from there about 3 or so years ago now, never had anything fail and it's still going strong.

dk

911 GTS Cab
the tevion (aldi) tv's are rubbish, stay well clear!

I have the Samsung 32 M51 model and its realy good but only as good as the signal you give it like all tv's, for xbox 360 though, as youa re giving it a HD source it is amazing.

Best info is to be had on the avforums

dk

911 GTS Cab
the1 said:
I have never heard of Aldi. Is a case of "if its cheap, its crap?". I have heard that Sony and Samsung share there panels as well. Is this true?.
yes they do although the difference is in the video processors, the Sony is supposed to be better with their Vega Experience

Fiesta ST
My bro has that 32" screen, I have the smaller 26" screen. My mate works at Dixons and explained the differences between the screens. Samsung are rated as one of the best apparently. :)

But anywho, you won't regret that choice if you got the Samsung. Great looks, and the picture quality is fantastic. Lots of features to alter and a whole load of connections on the rear. :)

Samsung1.gif

Samsung2.gif

Sorry for bad quality, taken from my mobile. I would recommend if you can save up to get the black glass 3-tier Serano stand. It looks awesome with that LCD. :)

Yaris Hybrid
I have the Samsung LE26R41 and it is so good that both of my brothers have bought one so we have three in total! We use them in high def with the Xbox 360 and for HD TV with the Telewest TV Drive service. We also have them connected to our PC's.

They work perfectly.

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
I have an Acer 32" HDTV ready TV, its' cheap at £650 but there's no built-in tuner... but I have a media center PC, which is what it's hooked upto...so there was no need. Loads of connections, it hosts my:
PC, Media Center, DVD Player, PS2, Xbox360, and my VHS recorder.

I'm not a fan of the samsung ones, we have them at work; they use algorythms to "enhance" the picture, changing saturation levels and such, but because I do so much graphical work, I needed a screen with high contrast (800:1), fast response time (26ms) and accurate colour reproduction.

Your casual consumer may not have heard of Acer, but any PC person would. They make Ferrari laptops and Ferrari monitors... so it's not some cheap korean knock-off.

icon_at3201w.gif

More Info: http://global.acer.com/products/lcd_tv/at3201w.htm
Product on eBuyer.com: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/91529 (price has gone up to £682 since I brought it...)

As for LCD Vs. Plasma. Stick to LCD if you can survive with 32". Plasma have lots of nasty side-effects, such as burn-in... but if you need 40" or above... Plasma really is the only way.

-Akira

the1 said:
Right I might be able to buy a new TV soon and as I have a Xbox 360 I would like a good 32" LCD Ready TV with built in Freeview for my bedroom :). I don't really know much about LCD TV's, What to look for etc...

I have a budget of upto £900. I have been looking at the new Samsung LE32R74BDX from EmpireDirect.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...BDX~dt~Televisions~st~LCD+TV~make~Samsung.htm

Is this a good TV?. I saw in Dixions the other day the Samsung LE32R73BDX and it had ghosting. I presume this was not running a HD signal?. Why is it they had ghosting anyway?.

If anyone can give me some info/advice. I would really appreciate it :).

im gettin that badboy next week, id suggest goin here instead mate

http://www.247electrical.co.uk/epag...6e27400a020f0105fe/Product/View/SAMLE32R74BDX

775 with free delivery thank you very much :D

dont say im not good to you ;)

Yaris Hybrid
I turned off the dynamic contrast and brightness on my Samsung as it was annoying and have not had any problems since. I used to have a 25ms Dell monitor and that had screen blur when playing PC games. I assume the Samsung TV is more like 12ms as PC and 360 games show no bluring.

Ditch the tuner idea, built in ones aren't to good anyway, and that will also limit the choice you have, if you really need freeview just buy a £20 box from asda. As for the tv i'd be looking towards one of the new sony bravia models, think they start around £800ish and you get a quality picture for the money, cheap lcd's are normally s**t, look for a high contrast ratio!

*edit*

watch out for some samsungs, there's a few about that have a habbit of blowing up!!, visit av forums, everything you need is there!

tbh alot of people dont know what they are talking about regards hd tv's

people keep banding around 1080p but very few know what the hell it is !!

there are very very few 1080p sets out over here at the mo and no product actually outputs 1080p anyway

Cupra
I treated myself to the Sony Bravia KLV S32A10E after hours in a shop looking at them all.

Awesome picture quality and all the connections you could need. 8ms response time too so absolutely no ghosting.

th_DSC00016.jpg

THe guy in the shop also said that the Samsung TVs were top quality too. It came down to my personal preference at the end.

172 Cup
Wait until the fully HD TVs arrive in June. At the moment the top pixels on most screens are at 780. Its a con because all TVs at the moment are HD ready, but not up to the Maximum capability. Sony will be bringing out there full HD LCD in June with 1080 Pixels.

Clio172-Mini Cooper Si
i bought an LG LX32R ( i think it is) i bought it as it was better than the samsung 32inch at the time, a bloke at work is currently looking and the samsung you listed looks really good spec for the money, as said above www.24-7electrical.co.uk and you'll have some money towards the stand

^^ Has anyone had any problems with the website you have suggested?. As I am very unsure about spending a lot of money from a company I have never bought from before?.

How much is the stand?.

Yaris Hybrid
the1 said:
Yeah, but how much will they cost?. I bet they won't be £800 - £900?.

They will be serious money. You are better off getting a cheap one now and then upgrading to a higher resolution screen in few years when the price has come down and when you might actually have some content to play on it.

At the moment I just have Xbox 360 which is 720p and Telewest TV Drive which is the same but all you can see in HD at the moment is a load of crap and I ain't into football so can't see anything interesting on the TV front for another year at least.

dk

911 GTS Cab
7MAT said:
To be totally future proof get a set that can display 1080p native and not just 1080p compatible.
LOL, not for under a grand you won't, they are few and far between at the moment and the only thing that will play at that resolution is when Blu Ray and HD DVD come out, but 720p isn't all that bad, its still much better than non HD.

Samsung, Sony, LG or Toshiba are all buys, just need to make a personal decision really, each is suited to different people, they are all good though. I have a brand new Sony and a brand new Samsung and I personally think the Samsung has the better picture but someone else will tell you different so that best thing to do is just check them out in a shop and play the same feed through them, maybe a dvd to see the difference.

Boxster S
Personally I'd never go away from Panasonic, I picked up one of the 42" plasmas at the start of the year and it's amazing. Sure it doesn't do native 1080i HD (Which means the picture is 1080 pixels high) it upscales from 720i (the picture is 720 pixels high, compare this to the current SD signal which is 576 pixels high)

However for your price range, Panasonic only do one TV at 32", which is the http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_317209.html and the downside is that I don't think it has an HDMI socket, which you need to remain future proof. It does have a built in tuner, which with a good signal will produce a great picture.

You'll need an component socket for your xBox 360 and most DVD players now produce this, never just loop your DVD recorded through your Sky box if you want the best picture.

Don't forget most of the TV's in your price range won't come with a full size stand, so you will need a table or strong wall!

As for the ghosting you saw at the shop, that would have been due to a bad signal being fed to the TV. You won't find ghosting on a digital signal (unless you have large electrical currents running over the cables or a loose connection) as the signal is digital, when it breaks up it goes blocking, it doesn't cost.

What I'd recommend is the Toshiba, http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_318035.html but make sure you double check the tech specs on it as I'm not sure that Comet is always that accurate. Buy your self a copy of What Hi-Fi and read through the back, make a short list and head to a decent supplier. John Lewis is normally very good, but the people in Comet and Dixon's normally don't have a clue what they are talking about.

If you want to ask anymore questions, drop me a PM!! Happy hunting!

Clio172-Mini Cooper Si
i bought my LG from 24-7 and they were great, but then i tried to order a £20 usb memory stick and i ended up cancelling it as they took ages to even send it.

I hadn't heard of them either and they are only open a few hours a day so if you try to contact them just something to be aware of

dont be fooled by 1080p its not all its cracked up to be !!!! even films wont be the propper high end 1080p 60 as it costs too much to replace all the cameras

a screen that will display 1080i (native ie 1920x1080) will play a 1080p film as its only recorded at 24 or 25 fps !!! very little will require a 1080p 60hz screen !!!

Boxster S
McBunny said:
dont be fooled by 1080p its not all its cracked up to be !!!! even films wont be the propper high end 1080p 60 as it costs too much to replace all the cameras

a screen that will display 1080i (native ie 1920x1080) will play a 1080p film as its only recorded at 24 or 25 fps !!! very little will require a 1080p 60hz screen !!!

Most sport is now shot at 1080i, we don't use much that produces 1080p signals. The difference between the 2 formats is the way each field in the frame is dealt with. To be honest once the signal has been compressed and bounced around a few satelites (sp!!), squeezed into your Sky HD box and recompressed by your TV, you won't notice a huge difference between 1080i and 1080p, but I think there is a noticable difference between 720 & 1080.

Films are a slightly different kettle of fish as it's down to the encoding process which determines the format they are delivered in.

all films will only be deliverd in 1080p 24/25 meaning that you will get exactly the same image on a 1080i set as they will process it at 50 htz oposed to 25

sky is all 1080i telewest is 1080i too

sony keep saying that the ps3 will do 1080p60 but tbh is wait and see if it actually becomes true

Boxster S
I'm way to tired to try and help you make sense of the different flavour of HD 'the1' but as far as you TV goes, read reviews and pop down to a big John Lewis or something to have a look at the TVs. Some of the better stores have an HD siganl running through the sets.

The things I would look for are HDMI connections, RBG enabled scart sockets, component inputs native 1080i would be a nice thing to have as well if the price allows it!!

If you really want to read about HD, this is good article http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/UnderstandingHDFormats.aspx

Cheers guys for the help guys:). I will go into the shops asap and have a look.