ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

leaking coolant!

Mk3 clio 1.5
Recently i noticied my coolant levels kept dropping, ive refilled and bled the system like 5/6 times this week. I first thought it was a air lock, but now noticied coolant is leaking everywhere from back of engine quite fast.

ive checked all the pipes i can see and they arnt leaking, its coming from above and behind back of sump, its impossible to see up there. what could i do besides pay stupid garage prices?

cheers, Lewis.

My grandad had this on his 1.2 and it looked like the back of the engine where the leak was, but it turned out to be the thermostat housing, they are plastic so crack or the gasket perishes.

Mk3 clio 1.5
My grandad had this on his 1.2 and it looked like the back of the engine where the leak was, but it turned out to be the thermostat housing, they are plastic so crack or the gasket perishes.

Is the thermostat where the bleed nipple is (dust cap one)?

Yeah, thats where his was leaking from, turned out to be a cracked housing and the gasket was split too because of this.

If you do end up ordering the housing, make sure you order the gasket as well, because on my housing the gasket was seperate and i had to make a repeat visit to Renault.

Mk3 clio 1.5
Its a 1.2 8v f4r engine. its not the thermostat housing.

Can you be anymore specific with a water pump failure?

1.2 8v f4r engine

^^never heard of one of those.

If the water pump has failed it gives up and pops a seal, only bonus is they are not timing belt driven they are run by the aux belt

Mk3 clio 1.5
1.2 8v f4r engine

^^never heard of one of those.

If the water pump has failed it gives up and pops a seal, only bonus is they are not timing belt driven they are run by the aux belt

my bad i was reading yours reply whilst typing, i believe mine would be a D7F engine. Hmm might have to have a look, possibility gasket could of gone for pump?