ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking power steering fluid

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

My power steering fluid is leaking through the hole in the cap on the reservoir. So much is leaking through that it is ending up on the bonnet.:(

The power steering has been thoroughly checked and there do not appear to be any air leaks. The garage will also be bleeding the system for me.

If this doesnt work, what could it be?

Could I enlarge the hole in the cap to accept a 5mm flexipipe and run that down the inner wing so that any fluid drains onto the road, or would that cause me more problems?

Thanks

James

clio williams, Ph1 172

I think they just do it mate. U got big rims? that dont help. One of my pipes split cos of the extrain strain big rims put on it. My power steering is actually silent now. amazing!

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Thanks for the answers.

I am running 17s, so I suppose that would put some extra strain on it.

I got the car back from the garage tonight and they have bled the system and it is alot quieter now.:)

Only problem is the near side front wheel is now catching on something and the steering is now really, really light and it is all over the place, I am constantly fighting it and when I took one hand off of the wheel, it was trying to shoot off to the right.:(

Fortunately, I took the car back straight away and the garage owner drove it and said that he would get it sorted tomorrow for no charge.

Fingers crossed it is not anything serious!

James

RenaultSport clio v6 255

my willy does that 2 , asked the garage they said that it was over filled, so they drained it and it no longer leaks at th eright level, as for any noise, mine is a 93 L with standard rims, it went back when it was new as was wining from th epowersteering, apparently something to do with th eoriginal pipe work, was costly to sort so left it - not sure if that was just renault telling porkies!

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

I dont know if this is true, but it wouldnt surprise me if Renault had used the same power steering pump across the whole range and because of the wider track on the 16vs and Willys it puts too much strain on the system.

James

James.....im sorry to have to tell you this.........but i suspect your vehicle has A.P.S.P.F Accute Power Steering Pump Failure..............in other words mate.......the pumps kackered..............i bought my 1993 16v with a noisey pump that pushed the oil back through the cap breathing hole.....the guy that i bought the car from told me that when he bought the car....7 years ago!...the Renualt dealer told him that all 16V power steering pumps were that noisey.....this is not true.......you should only be able to hear your pump when your steering is on full lock !.......

i told the guy that the pump was knackered.....which he made a deduction for in the price.......(new pumps are about £170.00).......dont buy a second hand one...its not worth the risk !.........i have fitted a new pump to my car.......the steering is now as quiet as a mouse........well...nearly!.....& not a single drop of fliud is pushed through the breathing hole in the cap !!......word of warning.......if you do fit a new pump....dont do what i did.......& tighten the feed pipe too tight......it breaks & you have to shell out another £40.00 for a new one !!....& youll have to wait 3 days because it wont be a STOCK ITEM !!

OR there is a cheaper option.......if your prepared to keep topping up the fluid & put up with the noise.........dont bother.....!:devilish:

Depends on the noise.....

A high pitched squeek that occurs at full lock and when reisitance is high, when teh car is turning but still.....its usually the belt. Still to replac mine cause im lazy, but you can see the pump skipping as the belt goes over it.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Thanks for the answers.

BenR, the noise is not a squeak and the belt has just been replaced.

I think the pump must be on its way out as the noise is really loud when parking and still noticeable at low speed.

I will see how things go though as I havent got the car back from the garage as yet and as a result I havent driven it since they bled the system. I asked them to check the steering and they couldnt find any leaks in the pipework or around the pump.

If the problem persists, I will get the pump replaced.

For anyone that is interested, Eurocarparts have the 16v pump for £91, with a £50 surcharge.

James

For what its worth I had a brand new renault pump fitted and I still get oil comming out the hole in the cap sometimes but the level seems ok never have to top it up. As for the noise when turning(not full lock) I get this first thing in the morning when getting out of a tight space, I just try and make sure the car is moving slightly while turning-it gos when warmed up.