ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking Suspension ???

172 Cup (Iceberg)
What's gone wrong here then chaps? Noticed oil or fluid leaking on the drive, looked under the rear arch and :eek: oh no, it was literally flowing out.

Is it safe to drive? Any idea what the damage could be? (to my pocket) . . . It's a 172 Cup by the way.

Thanks in advance.

DSC00904.jpg

172 Race Car
Need a new shock urguntly, easy job you may be able to do yourself, get a pair. If you drive it go carefully.

It will be very bouncy on the rear

BMW M135i
As said it wants a new pair of rear shocks (they need to be replaced in pairs really) £50 a piece from a renault stealers and best to stick with oem stuff.

Be careful as shot rear dampers tend to make them very tail happy.

Clio 182
Looks like your rear shocks are leaking. Its a common thing with these cars according to most on here. I had this a few weeks ago and paid Renault about £110 for both rear shocks (you should change both at the same time, even if only one is leaking).

Apparently you can fit them yourself with no bother but I paid a garage about £30 to fit the pair.

It looks pretty bad, you'll probably start hearing a thud when you go over bumps.

Good luck with getting it sorted!

172 Cup (Iceberg)
Thanks guys. Ahh. . . that explains the thud noises which started last week, I was pretty sure it was something in the boot! Obviously not. I'll get it sorted this week. Cheers again.

172 Race Car
Yea go carefull, as bmh says they can oversteer a little.

(Not had it on a clio but drove a golf that wanted to swap ends all the time due to shot rear dampers)

172 Cup (Iceberg)
Hmm. Not drove it all week as I'm getting a lift to work. I have been quite tempted to do it myself over the weekend but I can't source any spare parts, nobody stocks them it seems. . . .Think I might have to bite the bullet and go to Renault? :S

EDIT. Just read my private messages! Thanks :)

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
I had this problem. It was one of the reasons my car didn't pass it's MOT. Had to replace the rear shocks, I got some Bilstein ones and got them fitted for £100 :) its not what you know, its who you know lol

Charged Superleggera
do it yourself mate. its very easy. if you get stuck then take it to a garage.

172 Cup (Iceberg)
Fitted the new ones today (supplied by Auto-Nation, great service) and I just can't believe how much smoother it feels to drive. Mine must have been on the way out for a good while now as it hasn't felt so good to drive for ages!