ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Learning how to port heads.

im in the process of learning how to port heads. Starting on ford crossflow heads and 1.4 energy heads.
They obviousely wont be as good as people who have been doin it for years, but i am being taught by the best,a legend in racing, Tachi. He did all the 60s - 90s toyota stuff etc.
But would anybody be willing to pay me for the service of making a torque head...keeps the power within the same range and should increase flow by roughly 10-15%, depending on castings. (bar the 16V of course, this will be harder).
Not trying to steal business from nick, but would be done for about 100-150 quid for a basic job (depending on how many bits i go through (thats grinding bits, not head bits)).
I wont be ready for about 6-9 months though.

well, it would be hard to say, not having finished one. But you can usually increase flow of the inlet and exhaust by an average of 7% doing the basics. so on a little engine maybe 10bhp. But the point of it is efficiency, removing casting flashes, sharp edges, matching the inlet and exhaust manifolds, smoothing out the flow of gasses. This would mostly increase the V.E. of the engine as less exhaust gasseswould be left in the cylinder...so you can get more fresh mixture in.
and for 150-200 quid, its about as cheap as you could ever get.

about an hour.
I could either source and provide the head, do the work and give you the head back....but it would involve stripping all valve gear and putting it back later...either with the originals or new stuff.
theni cuold either mail it or meet up, then give you the complete head to slap onto your car.

Noticing you got a 172, ill have a look in the workshop at the 172 head and see if there is much that can be done to it, cause i expect it was carefully cast and port matched....but you can always inprove on perfection.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

already had my head slightly done by hillpower however might be thinking about a cam in the near future so i ll let you know

slightly in what manner?
get high lift, not long duration, well, not too long....will give better torque.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Well slightly in the manner that the head was completly stripped cleaned and rebuilt. Nick took off all the major restrictions in the head and I can safely say it has made a massive improvement. As for the cam probably go for a piper cam the same Nick Hill uses.
Although might opt for a 5 turbo engine conversion .... lol.