ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Learning to drive again :)

So, had the 197 for 2 weeks now and today the penny dropped!

Before this car, the only performance car I've had long enough to adjust to driving was my 1.6T Corsa SRi. That was quick and felt it near enough from the start. Because its a torquey car and the turbo kicked in at 3k rpm, it near enough flew straight away.

So getting into the 197, I knew they are quick cars and I've always loved them! But because of the lack of torque, you don't exactly get that rush that you do from a turbo'd car. I was starting to wonder why so many people really rate them as 'the best hot hatch around'.....then I realised.

On the way to work on nights tonight, I go down some really lovely twisty lanes, so I thought I'll have abit of a spirited drive, and MY GOD....the penny dropped!

It's what I'd call a screamer....you really don't feel the power up until about 5-8k, then when you keep it in that power band, it's amazing to drive! So responsive to everything you do, and just never EVER loses grip!!!

I was driving it how I would drive a turbo'd car, and I just wasn't getting the response I was hoping for...then treated it how it should be and BOOM, it's a whole different animal. I found myself going into work and when asked 'how's the new car?' the really was simply....'I love it! I actually LOVE it!'

So made up with it and, as a car I've wanted for so long, it's definitely lived up to my expectations and far far surpassed them!

So moral of the story....learn to drive the car how it should be before making judgment :)

Rusty Cup
Glad to hear you've found the cars sweet spot. I find if you get the revs up in first the rest follows nicely rather than putting your foot down in 3rd from 3k and having to wait until it hits 6k before it really wakes up. For me being able to scrub so much speed of just by dabbing the brakes makes it feel like such a safe car, you can go from nailing it to nothing in the blink of an eye.

Glad to hear you've found the cars sweet spot. I find if you get the revs up in first the rest follows nicely rather than putting your foot down in 3rd from 3k and having to wait until it hits 6k before it really wakes up. For me being able to scrub so much speed of just by dabbing the brakes makes it feel like such a safe car, you can go from nailing it to nothing in the blink of an eye.
Yeah I find the same, it's just flows throu the changes....what makes it so easy to drive and fun :)
Your spot on about the braking too! You just have confidence in what the car can do, that in itself makes it a safer car, as you know what limits it has, and even if you push them a little you know it can handle it :)
Great to hear you're enjoying it properly mate!
cheers man :)

Mercedes C320!
hey...

I had the same problem with my 200...i went from a remapped diesel which had loads of torque and i thought i had made the wrong move! However now i have driven how i should, i love it aswell!