ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaving the Cup for 6 weeks

after reading the other post about a guy leaving his car for a while i thought id ask about mine.
Im off to Oz for 6 weeks, i know its alot less but how will it be? gonna leave handbrake off and leave it in me garage, but thinkin of giving the keys to a pal just to turn it on once a week? i dunno. what dyas think?

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Yes and no...... Just take it round the block once will do it much better than just leave it there running, if not make sure u have all of the correct codes and unplug the battery IMHO

no need mate its a modern car battery should be fine.

running it for a few minutes doesnt charge the battery up enough to replace the power lost used when ou start it up. needs a few miles of drivingto do that.

leaving it running when its stood still from cold can screw the cat up.

dont have a cat so thats not a problem.

MIGHT actually ask Nicky to take it for a spin once a week whilst im away............actually.....hhmmmm. lol

tbh dan id just give it a good run before you go so the battery is well topped up then park it up in the garage handbrake off but in gear if needs be and disconnect the battery and lock it up. if its in the garage you dont really need to worry about it being alarmed as its secure anyway. chances are 6 weeks wont drain the battery much anyway.

Audi TT Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by TomS on 25 November 2004

Prob a stupid q, but why the handbrake?

Itll cease on, so its best to leave it off if leaving it along time assuming it is safe to do so.

If you wash the car before putting it away make absolutely sure that the brakes are dry before storage. A quick run around the block may not be enough as the pads will have water in them still. The water can react with the pads to create a mild acid that will rust and attack your discs.

If you dont run the engine for six weeks, when you return disconnect the crank sensor and turn the engine until the oil light goes out. Reconnect the crank sensor and start. This way youll make sure that the big ends get oil without too much pressure.

IIRC Halfords do a trickle charger for batteries, which you can plug in and forget while youre away.

F

Weeman sucks ****

You may need new rear discs when you come back, theyre not great quality. Just get someone to give it a run 2-3 times a week.