ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leon Cupra vs Cup

Had a look on cupranet at the specs of the Leon (my mates got one) and wondered how my Cup would fair against it.

Anyone had a tangle with one?

in a straight line again the cupra it would be close, against the 210bhp cupra r there would be no point in trying

not sure what the cupras are like round corners, but Rockingham Speedway use them for the Johnny Herbert experiences round a tight twisty track so i can only imagine that they handle pretty well

only my experience - but i have had nothing but trouble with Richard Sanders, Kettering - they have managed to screw everything up on my car inside 5 months of ownership

but others may have had excellent service, so really shouldnt pass judgement

how have you found the cup??

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 05 May 2003

in a straight line again the cupra it would be close, against the 210bhp cupra r there would be no point in trying
Wouldnt it be..........in a straight line against the Cupra it would be a simple victory for the Cup, and against the 210bhp Cupra R, it would be close?

0-60 for the std Cupra is 7.7 and the Cupra R is 7.2 - allowing a bit for error, neither come very close to matching the Cup.

Maybe the turbo shove would give it better 60---> performance, but I dont think a Cup "shouldnt try" against the Cupra R - its a heavy git, and not as quick as its bhp figure would have you believe!!

Well i was left a little up in the air as i didnt know when it was arriving and the bloke who i was dealing with went on holiday and the sales manger didnt bother getting in touch like this bloke had asked him too.

The cup is fun and im enjoying the drive, much better than a 14y/o Ren 19 gts lol

Autocar did a track test of most current hot hatches - the Leon Cupra R was slower around the track than a bog standard Mondeo 2.0 (as were all the VAG Group products). Not impressed.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 05 May 2003

Autocar did a track test of most current hot hatches - the Leon Cupra R was slower around the track than a bog standard Mondeo 2.0 (as were all the VAG Group products). Not impressed.
That was just the cupra not the R . ive driven a cupra R and IMO the cup is as quick if not quicker to 60, catch the engine off boost and it is sluggish , not much in it though , 6 speed box gives it an advantage for quieter cruising , and a higher top end. The steering was very vague , no where near the feeling from the cups and the handling was good but its a heavy car , rolled more and understeered quicker than the cup , good car but not as focussed as the cup. but thats just my opinion.

S2000

Cup vs Cupra = Wouldnt be close at all!! Cup would completely muller it!!

Cup vs Cupra R = Well soon find out..............!

S2000

OK then mate,

Cupra - 1.8 20vT - 180BHP - 0-60 7.7 - 0-100 21s

Cupra R 1.8 20vT - 210BHP 0-60 6.5-7.2 - 0-100 17s

In other words a standard Cup will walk all over a Cupra, not so a R!!!

Willy2

I raced a cupra round Kingston one way system in my valver, he got off to a good start but when he took the first bend which is uphill and bends sharply to the right I could see the backend on the cupra really twitching, I kept with him but was very reserved on taking him as his car looked seriously unstable on corners. As there was traffic about i think if I started to get more competitve he may loose control of the motor. Was good fun tho, by the way this is a twisty bit of road if it was straight he would kill me.

Another person from Northampton, Rockingham is much closer to Rushden than 30miles.

Cupra will not be a problem for a cup

Cupra R has same specs as normal 172 so a cup should have the legs, just.