ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LIGHT WEIGHT BONNETS

IAM CONSIDERING MARKETING FIBREGLASS BONNETS 4 16 VAVLERS. THE PRICE IS NOT YET CONFIRMED BUT WILL BE REASONABLE. JUST THINK LIGHTWEIGHT, AS MANY SCOOPS AS U WANT, ALL WITHOUT DAMAGING UR ORIGINAL. WAT DO YOU THINK? WILL COME AS A BOLT ON ITEM READY FOR PAINT SCOOPS CAN BE FITTED. ALL COMMENTS MUCH APPRIECATED.

Clio 1.6 16V

Im sure you have thought of this? I used to have an old Reliant Scimitar GTE which as you know is fibreglass. There were a few third-party suppliers of bonnets with extra vents/scoops. If they didnt have any internal metal bracing across them during moulding, the buggers started to sag after a while due to heat soak. Clios will probably not generate the same heat as the old 3L Essex V6 but maybe worth considering? ;)

carbon fibre bonnets would be better like u get on the jap cars. and yes fibre glss will sag under heat... watch that manifold!!

would be interested in a standard design bonnet but in carbon fibre..

THEY HAVE BEEN RUN ON MY RALLY CAR FOR OVER A YEAR WITH NO TROUBLES EXCEPT THE CRASH LAST WEEK THANKS FOR YOUR VIEWS

Clio v6

An interesting idea you have there Bondy. I hope your venture does well for you.

PS. Is your name anything to do with Bond Equipe history by any chance?

These would probably be a total nightmare to paint, a rally car doesnt have to last for years normally on the paint that its got and will deteriorate with age, aluminium is a better substitute really for a lightweight bonnet, carbon fibre has to be moulded as its pretty unworkable if you try to machine it.

Tony

If you use polyester as the resin then it would probably have a top working temp of about 80 degrees centigrade (which might be o.k.). Epoxy resin has a much higher working temp and can easily be used for a bonnet.

If a decent design with suitable bracing can be found, its perfectly possible.

If you want to be a bit flash, an aramid fibre like Kevlar might be a good idea as it is much tougher than any other option (including carbon) so it would be much more resistant to stone chips and stuff.

Steve, i think people dont need a bullet proof bonnet ;) and Kevlar is another expensive material that has to be moulded.

Aluminium is still the best for lightweigh bonnets but it dents easier but it doenst rust and it can be painted better than any of the others.

Tony

fibre glass is no problem to paint, look at the espace fibre glass renault. alloys ok, its a b**ch to paint and not much weight saving trust me been there done tha as they say. ps brun ill make one out of chocolate just for you that will melt nicley ha ha