ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lime Prime or Werkstatt Prime?

M135i
Hi all, I'm looking to put an order in by the end of today for some nice new bottles of wonderful chemicals.

I've been looking at pre wax cleaners as per the title.

Which of the two have you used, would recommend and for what reason?

Not a 320d
Werkstatt.

Why?

Because it pull dirt out the paintwork and adds protection. Provides a suitable base for a wax or sealant.

Not used Werkstatt, but I really like LimePrime. Very similar to SRP to use tbh, but if anything goes a little further and smells better!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Not used Werkstatt, but I really like LimePrime. Very similar to SRP to use tbh, but if anything goes a little further and smells better!
Not really duck. :eek:

I own al 3 products actuall but anyway. I see LP on Prime as 2 different products. I would never use LP as a cleanser only because it's a little oily and that itself isn't a great base for topping but... used with the right pad 3m yellow for eg it can offer some correction by machine and I would only use LP by machine, there are better products by hand.

LP is almost a cleanser/light polisher and light glaze in one. You would go straight to LSP after LP although I wouldn't use a sealant due to the oils in LP.

Prime or primes strong, I use the later is probably the best cleanser on the market, the dirt it'll pull from paint even after polishing is incredible but it's a cleanser and awesome base, i'd always follow with a glaze, blackhole or EZ creme glaze (both acrylic) then your LSP of choice.

Use prime/strong on glass, lights, shuts for fantastic beading and sheeting. It's actually lasting just aslong as my dedicated windscreen sealant.

lol, i suck at detailing, so my opinion is invalid anyway, but I do find it very similar to use. Now you've said it though, it is a little oily, though I only use it prior to topping with a Dodo wax so...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Good man. :)

Work into the paint with an MF applicator not a foam one. Also can be worked by machine but you might use a little more product until the pad is primed. :)

M135i
Why not? I'm not going to machine polish my GW any time soon. The Volvo has been machined but I'm intent on removing old wax/sealant/crap that has built up on the car over the last year.

Why not? I'm not going to machine polish my GW any time soon. The Volvo has been machined but I'm intent on removing old wax/sealant/crap that has built up on the car over the last year.

It should technically be the other way around fella. Why do you need the stronger product over the normal. If there is no requirement for it, I would just go with the standard stuff.

I'm intent on removing old wax/sealant/crap that has built up on the car over the last year.

Then a warm strong solution of APC via foam lance is your answer chap. You won't be able to get in all the nooks and crannies with an applicator, whereas a foam will be able to reach those hard to reach places.

M135i
Ok thanks for the info.

Im still liking the idea of pre cleaner though. Probably going to go for the acrylic kit. I used the Trigger when it first came onto the market and was always impressed.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just buy the Prime and Jett seperate mate.

It's a little cheaper and i'm not sure i'd use the gloss much, although I think the Carnuba one that JD uses is better than the Acylic version, i'd rather wipe down with some Z6.

Ok thanks for the info.

Im still liking the idea of pre cleaner though. Probably going to go for the acrylic kit. I used the Trigger when it first came onto the market and was always impressed.

Prime is a pre cleaner, regardless of Strong or Standard.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm good question mate.

I choose strong as it like prime but a little tougher, my shuts get a lot of dirt in them compared with other cars so I wanted a decent cleanser that also left some awesome durability of it's own.

Also when I spoke to John he said that at a push Strong could be worked via DA but normal might not be as easy.

Strong would be more useful for really heavy soiling of paintwork, so for mine it might have been an idea as it is over 8 years old. For Gally's, again, same sort of age, I might suggest it.

But for an R27 that has clearly been looked after by yourself, I think Prime is technically overkill.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
With it being white I wouldn't advise against using strong. White needs cleansed more than any colour imo.

The same reason i'd always use Tardis/iron x on anyway white car I was doing.

M135i
I still have the Volvo to prep before i sell it, a future 172 cup that I'll replace it with and the general cars that I do on the side that do not always wish to have a machine polish.

As far as tardis goes, I've been using that for about two years. Brilliant stuff. I'm going to AS later to try and pick up a sample of their fallout remover. See if it can compare to ironX. I'm not too bothered about pretty purple stuff. The R27, as you can imagine, is covered in metal based fall out.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Get some iron x for £1 from PB. It would be first on my shopping list if I had a white car.

Megane F1 R26 LY
iron x is great stuff ! smells like S**t but its great. use it pre clay bar then SRP then a hard wax like dodo juice ! ultimate ping !

M135i
Acrylic Prime... purchased.

I've been down to Autosmart. All the guys are out at the moment, so I'll go again later.

While I'm there, is anyone interested in any of their products that you haven't tried as yet. If so, I'll try and grab a sample and let you know how it fairs.

M135i
Just been to my local Autosmart dealer. He gave me enough to mix up 500ml worth and a 500ml bottle. For free.