ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

limiting at 6k revs even when warmed up

Clio 182 Cup
dunno whats up with car this time but its topping out at 6k revs even when its warmed up. any ideas what it could be??? :S

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
i have this exact problem with mine too. My aux belt came loose after a bolt disapered on the alternator bracket causing it to drop. which i 'think' maybe is causing a reduce charge from the alternator on vtec causing the vtec solenoid to get crankey and limit it.

need to replace this bolt and nut before i can tell you if this is the reason as i sheared it off when tightening it up with another blt and nut.

Take a look at the little threaded bolt thing that comes up vertically out of just infront of the alternator...
there should be no movement in this whatsoever.

if it is not this and you find it is something else please PM me what you find etc!

Cheers
Dave

Clio 182 Cup
i will check that tomorro. some1 said to check dogbone gearbox mount. i replaced top mount on fri but waiting 4 the lower 1. also em, tc, abs and service lights are all on

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
i got service light on but thats because i have removed front seats (airbag sensors) no other lights on display...

The ECU has lost vehicle speed input then, or rather more accurately one of the driven wheel speed sensors which the ABS and TCS also rely on to operate.

Cheers
M

Exactly whats happening to the 172 engine in my Mk1, my ECU isnt getting a speed reading that it needs as said (various problems), and my limiter is at 6k exactly..

Clio 182 Cup
its doin my nut in. funny thing is when gearbox went in it would rev all the way that was about 2 month ago but it only started doin this last week

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
The ECU has lost vehicle speed input then, or rather more accurately one of the driven wheel speed sensors which the ABS and TCS also rely on to operate.

Cheers
M

could this be caused by a loose aux belt ? obv not desirable and will be rectified asap.

Megane 225 F1
i have this exact problem with mine too. My aux belt came loose after a bolt disapered on the alternator bracket causing it to drop. which i 'think' maybe is causing a reduce charge from the alternator on vtec causing the vtec solenoid to get crankey and limit it.

need to replace this bolt and nut before i can tell you if this is the reason as i sheared it off when tightening it up with another blt and nut.

Take a look at the little threaded bolt thing that comes up vertically out of just infront of the alternator...
there should be no movement in this whatsoever.

if it is not this and you find it is something else please PM me what you find etc!

Cheers
Dave

Vtec?

The variable valve timing (roffle at vtec) kicks in y0 at something like ~1500rpm. Nothing electronic or mechanical happens at the ~5k 'changeover' and even if it did, that would be closer to 5,000rpm. That's how I understand it anyway. I may be wrong.

53 Clio's & counting
Roy your spot on, the VVt on the Clio comes in at circa 1600 rpm to help low speed driveability, the 5k kick is simply when the engine is working at its most efficiant revs

53 Clio's & counting
oh and vtec ( which stands for Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control) operates like this:

Instead of having one cam lobe per cylinder, you have 3, and you also have 3 rocker arms. The two outer cam lobes are smaller than the middle one,Now at low rpm the middle rocker arm is not locked to the two outer rocker arms and in effect not used, and the two outer rocker arms operate the valves as per any normal engine. When you reach the rpm that the vetc operates, the ecu via oil pressure shoots a metal rod through the rocker arms, locking the three together. By doing this the middle rocker arm is now being operated by the middle, larger cam lobe which means as all three rocker arms are locked together, the larger centre cam lobe mkaes the rocker arms hold the valves open for longer

a vid to show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZc-SNs7Sag

Which is completely different to VVT, which adjusts the cam timing, nothing to do with the valves, the only Manufacturer to use V-tec is honda as they invented it

Last edited:
  Megane 225 F1
oh and vtec ( which stands for Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control) operates like this:

Instead of having one cam lobe per cylinder, you have 3, and you also have 3 rocker arms. The two outer cam lobes are smaller than the middle one,Now at low rpm the middle rocker arm is not locked to the two outer rocker arms and in effect not used, and the two outer rocker arms operate the valves as per any normal engine. When you reach the rpm that the vetc operates, the ecu via oil pressure shoots a metal rod through the rocker arms, locking the three together. By doing this the middle rocker arm is now being operated by the middle, larger cam lobe which means as all three rocker arms are locked together, the larger centre cam lobe mkaes the rocker arms hold the valves open for longer

a vid to show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZc-SNs7Sag

Which is completely different to VVT, which adjusts the cam timing, nothing to do with the valves, the only Manufacturer to use V-tec is honda as they invented it

Thats what i thought. LOL

Clio 182 Cup
took my car to garage today to see if they knew what it was. when it came to takin it on a test drive em light went off and now its runnin fine wtf!!!