ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Limp mode - assistance with clip data please

BG 182
Gents.

After getting back into a very well species 172 cup for all of 180miles it's gone into limp mode!! It was lightly misfiring the other day on my way home from work but this was from cold so I didn't think too much of it.

I purchased a Chinese clip diagnostic tool as I'm always buying Renault sports so it seemed like a good idea. Well this morning I'm hoping it's paid for itself! However I don't know my way around it so I'm after some assistance and hoping I have the right info to help identify the problem.

This is what I got upon initial scan

y6a2u5yv.jpg

After I had deleted the faults I ran the engine and re-scanned, these are what I now have

esabetan.jpg

And this is at idle

ynarujyq.jpg

qaju2eme.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I briefly searched df124 and df129 but haven't had a chance to get in front of a PC to look properly. I've read due to it being a cup It could be a wiring fault worst case, or easy solution clean the throttle body?

Thanks Lewis

clio dci , ren8
The throttle pedals do wear out as I had one the other day that came up with the same reading as yours , second hand pedal and all was sorted , you may also have a throttle body fault .

BG 182
Ok guys, Just a couple of things I thought id mention, This defect literally occurred once and is a hard defect. it was intermittent, but I did have slight misfire last week when cold, although this could just be the common clio fault.

looking at above data, can someone confirm a couple of things.

Pedal position track 2 reads 100>0%
Pedal position track 1 reads 0<100%

should the 2 readings equate to the 100% for example, one is 25% the other should be 75%? if so then my reading look out? what sort of tolerance is there?

I understand this has been covered 1000 times but I do have some data to assist. I also know that eventually, if I don't find the fix that I will probably need to have it looked at by a 'decent' auto electrician who can scope my wiring.

BG 182
a5y4ebe4.jpg

The data above is with the pedal half pressed.

Pedal position at 50% and 64% looks to be out but throttle position is confusing being 15% and 88%?

Am I on the right tracks anyone?

I have a pedal being sent out today to try, I was going to test with a Multi meter but the data on Clip seems to be doing the job

Mini Cooper S
Looks like it's going to be dash out and loom checking for me tomorrow :( hope the pedal sorts it for you keep me posted!

phase 1 172
Throttle potentiometer

I had a similar issue from memeory similar readings and the autospark printout read "incohearance between track 1 and track 2"

BG 182
Currently in the middle of stripping my loom back. Throttle didn't cure it and now it's constantly reving to 3000rpm ( it's in limp mode so assuming it would go to red line if it could)

also if I depress the brake switch it cures it the revving and it drops to idle but the throttle when pressed doesn't do anything!!

It is showing a lambda fault but I figured I'd take a look at the loom first!

Deep joy!

Mini Cooper S
Currently in the middle of stripping my loom back. Throttle didn't cure it and now it's constantly reving to 3000rpm ( it's in limp mode so assuming it would go to red line if it could)

also if I depress the brake switch it cures it the revving and it drops to idle but the throttle when pressed doesn't do anything!!

It is showing a lambda fault but I figured I'd take a look at the loom first!

Deep joy!

Although mine idles fine I'm in the same boat. I'm doing the loom thing tomorrow I'm feeling your pain! Mine is gong to be traded in when it's sorted!

BG 182
I've checked all wires between the throttle plug and the ecu, all look ok and have continuity. All other wires look fine aswell. Just need to check from the ecu back to the pedal now.

Because of the failure I'm still thinking it's a sensor fault

Mini Cooper S
I've checked all wires between the throttle plug and the ecu, all look ok and have continuity. All other wires look fine aswell. Just need to check from the ecu back to the pedal now.

Because of the failure I'm still thinking it's a sensor fault

After taking micks advice and a friend of mine (mine actually worked for a small journey) with it being intermittent mine is more than likely a wiring fault.

BG 182
mudymyhe.jpg

Awesome fun today! Checked out all wiring, continuity between pedal, r107, the white plug r65 and to the ecu. It all checks out ok.

It's all starting up still and idling fine, but throttle is none responsive now with old and new pedal, I tried reseting brake switch again but that didn't work.

I do need to clear all the fault codes as it's the one thing I haven't tried since getting it all back together.

One thing though it's all nice and clean in the bay!!

Going to try throttle then lambda sensor next

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
H02 Sensor... why and how would that cause a throttle inconsistency issue between tracks or effect the output angle of the TB?

Continuity tests only show that the wire you are looking at is connected between two points. Out of the many stands that make up a wires core, if only one strand is intact it will pass a continuity test. Resistance based values however will have a f**k fit with it though.

You need a Scope now to test the values and ensure they're in spec... They won't be and I will put money on it.

BG 182
H02 Sensor... why and how would that cause a throttle inconsistency issue between tracks or effect the output angle of the TB?

Continuity tests only show that the wire you are looking at is connected between two points. Out of the many stands that make up a wires core, if only one strand is intact it will pass a continuity test. Resistance based values however will have a f**k fit with it though.

You need a Scope now to test the values and ensure they're in spec... They won't be and I will put money on it.

Its coming up with a lambda fault so it wants changing. i shall hunt out someone with a scope, and at least i know now exactly what wires i need to check out.

Are my values on the clip data above any relevance? and are they out of tolerance between each other? all of a sudden since i changed the pedal, and played with the wiring its now not responsive

its a shame i have nowhere local that i trust to do the work. The last bloke i used had my last cup (with the immobiliser issue, solid red light) for over 6 weeks and although he fixed it he didn't actually tell me how and his attitude was very poor

BG 182
UPDATE........ITS FIXED

High resistance on one of the potentiometer wires. both pedal tracks now read the same. haven't had a chance to run it yet as i need to refill the coolant

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Good lad - you now have "the knowledge"... guard it with your life lol

We fixed another with it on Friday

BG 182
Thanks for your help, if you've got some basic knowledge it goes along way. Although I did hunt for about 3 hours for the wiring diagrams!!!

I do suggest anyone with this fault let a professional who deals with this type of fault to do the work. It was pretty in depth, and took me around 5 hours of research and 6-7 hours of labour.

you could very easily damage components!

Last edited:
  WANTED Arctic 182
Think I have this problem too :dapprove:

Fault code DF129

Replaced pedal and throttle body but I still have an issue with intermittent revving.

Clio 182 sport
Helllo can anyone help me i have a limp home mode issue as well i have replaced ht leads spark plus and coil pack still same problem my engine management light is on on the right had side also there was a sort of airbag warning light at the top right ,ive had it on the dionostics it says i need a new lamdba sensor ,since then it seem like my aultinator has broken as well so waiting on that coming also itl go into limp mode and
If i just keep drivng it itl sorta fix its self after a period of time itl increase in revs for a second and go back down and it them runs fine after words till i turn it off then when i start it it runs fine for a few mins them it goes i to limp mode again i would really like advise before i take it to a garage and get ripped off cause i dont actualy know whats up with it