ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Liquid yellow Mk1 track car

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sure most people have long since lost interesting in my going on forever project thread so thought I'd post up a few pics and a spec now that its actually on the road:)

Weird it finally being a car after so long from starting as little more than a bare shell when I bought it from @Andyrg , Ive just been kind of tinkering away here and there for the last couple of years and now at last its ready to use :) So I am properly looking forward to getting it out on track soon to drive it properly.
Not too shabby TBH for a temporary spec till the Honda turbo engine goes in, really starting to feel like the car is getting ready for it now :)

Will hopefully get some better pics soon, but here is a bit of a roundup from my project thread.

IMG_0669_zpsc228bf92.jpg

IMG_0670_zps82821651.jpg

20C710CD-BA56-4E4A-8E5E-D551976D41BC-154-0000000BC56268CB_zps6c9a444c.jpg

59AD9813-19F2-4D20-9438-92DA5171ACA6-597-000001ECF8797064_zpsea3acdcf.jpg

9E78316F-FAE6-427A-85B3-CB2B49679C7D-5649-00000405EABC04D2.jpg

6fba027e.jpg

Could only find this one showing the inlet part assembled, ignore the blue paint, its from the old shell!
8ca941ea.jpg

9c6b3f1a.jpg

IMG_0673_zpsf254692c.jpg

A954FFD3-649D-4614-9DF9-187FDAF2C6E0-2072-00000163D4A93A9A.jpg

499FD831-02F7-494B-BF64-114107878862-1567-0000012423EEE678.jpg

3E66DCD8-282A-4920-82AB-11738558B465-2608-0000018DF105A2FE.jpg

Big thanks to @Dan@SJM for the lend of a ramp and his epic skills for the box swap when had a last minute spec change and decided to fit a quaiffe after I'd already fitted the engine and box while I was too busy, and for sorting out some wiring issues with the 172 loom and UCH etc.

Shell
Clio mk1 16v shell in Liquid Yellow
Carbon bonnet
Bmw E36 power cable and distribution block
Lightweight heater
Base model manual windows
Williams steering rack
Williams boot spoiler
Laguna splitter

Interior
Corbeau Bucket seats and 4 point harnesses
6 point Rollcage with harness bar
172 dash conversion
Race technology Dash 2 dashboard and DL1 datalogger
Floor mount Pedal box (with no servo)
Lightweight race battery moved to rear
Lowered and extended williams steering column
Pop off suede trimmed 280mm steering wheel
Extended gear linkage to relocate shifter further back

Brakes
Braided lines
Main front to rear lines routed through the car
Adjustable brake bias built into pedal box
Wilwood radial mount calipers and 295mm disks
Mintex F4R race compound pads
Altered handbrake location

Engine
F7R williams engine, rebuilt with ARP conrod fasteners
Kent 285 camshafts
172 flywheel and clutch
Custom inlet made from chadil manifold, pulsar plenum, and cosworth throttle body
Aftermarket (V4) engine management
Polyflex dogbone mount
Wallbro 255 fuel pump
Supersprint 4-2-1 exhaust manifold
2 18" Simons straight through 2.5 centre boxes
Magnex back box

Suspension
AST gold top mounts
Custom Nitron R1 front coilovers
Roll centre correction kit with rose jointed bottom joints and track rod ends
Gaz adjustable rate rear shocks with rear torsion bar
Polyflexed 172 bottom arms
172 Hubs

Transmission
172 drive shafts
172 Cup gearbox
Quiaffe torque biasing diff
172 extra gearbox mount
B&M short shift

Wheels and Tyres
4 sets for different circumstances

Dry Track/Road
Clio mk1 ph1 turbines
Toyo R888 195/50/15 tyres

Inter Track/road
172 Oz F1
Federal RSR 595 typre 195/50/15

Dry Track
172 Oz F1
Michelin Pilot sport Cup 205/50/15

Wet Track
172 Oz F1
Michelin competition wets

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks good! Will be good to see how quick it goes on a track day

Yeah, I'm looking forward to how it compares to our lightly tweaked 182.

Its not actually especially quick in a straight line, but it feels like its going to carry quite a bit of pace through the corners and the brakes inspire a massive amount of confidence.

TBH though, fun on a trackday (what I have built it for) doesnt always equate exactly to laptimes.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What sort of power does it have?

Not finished mapping it yet and not had it on rollers, but based on similar Ive mapped in the past, will be 180 ish, so will be less than our RS2'd 182 I would think

That said, its probably a good 150kg or more lighter than the 182, so might still give it a good run on the straights, will have to get some datalogs from each. Not too fussed about it being quicker, but it would be nice if my dedicated trackday car could at least manage to keep up with the mrs daily driver, lol.

RenaultSport 172
Lol that will be a weapon then! I need another 100bhp! Only trouble is I don't want to pay for it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol that will be a weapon then! I need another 100bhp! Only trouble is I don't want to pay for it!

Honda lump is cheap as anything mate.
2K gets you an engine, an LSD gearbox, a custom inlet, and a turbo and manifold like this:
240c5613.jpg

246f8974.jpg

Shame its not a 5 minute job to fit to a clio, and does involve stuff like expensive custom shafts and best to go aftermarket management too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Should be at the Newark meet next Sunday George. So pop round my place first and I will take you out in it. Assuming I haven't crashed or broken it by then. Lol.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Epic car, epic colour, gonna be a beast on track. Surely it will leave the RS2 182 on the straights, as you said with a 150kg weight deficit. Out of interest what bhp/lb ft does a RS2 182 produce? Also how much did the respray in LY cost, it's an expensive colour for respraying iirc?

Again, epic car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Epic car, epic colour, gonna be a beast on track. Surely it will leave the RS2 182 on the straights, as you said with a 150kg weight deficit. Out of interest what bhp/lb ft does a RS2 182 produce? Also how much did the respray in LY cost, it's an expensive colour for respraying iirc?

Again, epic car.

Thanks for the kind words mate.

The shell was painted by Andyrg before he very stupidly decided to move on and sold it to me.

Rs2 182 generally makes about 190bhp but I suspect ours is a little less as it's a tired engine now.
Dan@SJM is round mine tomorrow so might see if we can happen to be on the dual carriageway at the same time and see how it compares to vikkis 172 as our 182 is bumperless as they are getting painted.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well dan came round earlier and we tried it against vikkis 197 cammed 172 and essentially it's a dead heat. I think if anything the 172 was a tiny bit quicker.
There is still a little to come from the map I think but essentially performance wise I'd say in a straight line it's "as good as a good 172" and nothing really more than that at this stage.
Not too bothered obviously though as this engine is only temporarily in there till I do the honda lump so would be pointless spending loads of money on this one.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Well dan came round earlier and we tried it against vikkis 197 cammed 172 and essentially it's a dead heat. I think if anything the 172 was a tiny bit quicker.
There is still a little to come from the map I think but essentially performance wise I'd say in a straight line it's "as good as a good 172" and nothing really more than that at this stage.
Not too bothered obviously though as this engine is only temporarily in there till I do the honda lump so would be pointless spending loads of money on this one.

Chip the "car" is alot faster than vikkis, you just weigh more. Flol ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice little read that, thanks for sharing.

How do you find the brakes without the servo assistance?

Awesome mate. Really amazing amount of feel, especially with the 4pots and f4r pads, it's a whole new level of control compared to the 182 etc.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai don't see many of them in brooky, its a bit of a mess though bless it, some muppet stuck some god awful side skirts on it, which a subsequent owner ripped off..........literally, tore half the side of the car off, lol!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
the whole things a mess tbh, but its got leathers in I want for the turbo and the engines a cammed up F7R with supersprint, so money to be made selling that on as well

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Off to Bedford today for what promises to be a soaking wet evening session.

Would have preferred a dry day for it's first shakedown really as it's easier to find issues. But still looking forward to it. :)

I like that too ;)

Not a fan of the road wheels though!

What sort of power do you expect it to have?

Good luck today anyway. Sure it'll be great fun but shame about the weather.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I quite like the wheels tbh, probably showing my age. Lol.

Power wise, was expecting low 180s but I think it is a little less as I couldn't get away from vikkis which can't be much more than that and is heavier. Will get it on rollers soon and find a number. Don't massively care though as this engine is entirely temporary. Probably do half a dozen trackdays this year on it and then it might be coming out as soon as this winter.