ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Locking wheel nut key

Black 182 FF
I'm guessing Renault is the best place for a locking wheel nut key? Can anyone give me an idea of how I go about getting one and how much they cost?

I've just been putting my spare wheel on as my lass has managed to dent the rear passenger side arch and scrape the wheel on a gate post :mad:

The wheel isn't bad and I've probably got enough paint left to paint it again after last time, so I decided to take it of and put the spare on outside the house just now. As I replaced all the wheel bolts and put the locking wheel nut key down to get the cap, the locking wheel nut key just decided to roll onto the drain lid and inbetween the grate as I watched on in horror. I've had a drain rod down with an attachment on it as it doesn't seem too deep, but I fear it's gone. NOT a good day.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Is the grate locked? I wouldn't imagine it will have washed away just depends how much craps in there

PH2 172
Just don't use locking nuts more hassle than what there worth imo :/ , but I definitely have a go at prising the drain cover up nd get your hand in mate :rasp:

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
You can order another one off the barcode on the plastic box. £35.

Black 182 FF
I've had a drain rod with a sieve taped to it scraping around there for the last hour or so. There's no light now. It seems as if the bottoms just totally clogged up with mud and leaves. The grate is a hinged one, might have a go at lifting it properly tomorrow. I've got some gauntlets so I'm not afraid to get my hands in!

Magnet also sounds good, I've got a decent magnet fish tank scraper.

I haven't got the box it came with unfortunately, nor does there seem to be a code next to the radio code in the handbook.

Black 182 FF
Just spent another 20 mins with the fish tank magnet down it attached to two drain rods....nothing!

Either it's gone or the magnet isn't strong enough. Did manage to pull up a 1p and 5p though, but left them on the kerb for someone else.

Black 182 FF
More magnets down this morning, sieve on drain rod, tried to get the grate lid up and it wasn't moving, even tied the works van to it and gave it some tug, but couldn't manage to pull it in the right direction. So now I'll have to try and get another, without the original box or seemingly anything in my service book.

This is a photo of the locking bolt. Gonna have to see if there's anyone local who has one I can lend.

th_photo1.jpg

Westfield, 182, 200
Please don't put your hand down there, the chances are slim but there could be a needle or glass in there.

Got a bolocking at work for doing it, our drainage team have hepatitis injections and wear special protective gauntlets!

if you can't pull it up with a fish tank magnet, I don't think you'll get it back.

Westfield, 182, 200
Reckon you're better of buying a new set of locking bolts and remove the rest with a tool.

i have 3 lock keys and they look the same as yours but I know they don't fit the same car at home!

PH2 172
If you do ever get it off mate, don't put it back on they're pretty pointless (just my opinion), if someone wanted to steal your wheels they'd just take the whole car these days, I've had loads of hassle with them in the past, hope you get it sorted anyways

Black 182 FF
@Spinksy is going to pop around tonight and see if his is the right one (longshot I know) if not I'll probably try one of the removal tools.

pretty annoyed with myself for letting it drop too as I'm usually ultra careful with it.

PH2 172
Yeah ya could always get some 'bolt grips' I think that's what they're called I've got some at home, and you just hammer it over the bolt and it cuts in to the metal and lets you undo it :)

Black 182 FF
Looks like they're gonna have to be forced off one way or the other. I'll give it a go at the weekend providing we get some decent weather.

182 ff
I just bought a telescopic drain key finder. its got a strong magnet on it, with a torch on the end. only £3 from Tesco...worth getting one and trying it...

Black 182 FF
I just bought a telescopic drain key finder. its got a strong magnet on it, with a torch on the end. only £3 from Tesco...worth getting one and trying it...

I might actually have a look to Tesco tonight, it's certainly worth a try.

Black 182 FF

When I got thinking about it, I actually have one of these in my works tool kit. I went out and tried it and tbh it wasn't long enough. But what this did is spur me on to try the drain rods with my magnet on again, which I readapted. Anyway I got two drain rods on it and had a poke about and got nothing. I then tried to get the rods into the part of the drain which leads towards my house and I suddenly heard a 'clunk'. As I carefully pulled the drain rods out I saw something silver on the end and quickly got my hands on it and got it out:

th_photo.jpg

It's a little bit smelly and needs a wash, but thank God for that.

My new motto: Never give up!

And cheers for the help everyone :cheers:

Last edited:
  Westfield, 182, 200
Nice one, so satisfying when something like that happens-bet you'll be careful with the key now?

182 ff
When I got thinking about it, I actually have one of these in my works tool kit. I went out and tried it and tbh it wasn't long enough. But what this did is spur me on to try the drain rods with my magnet on again, which I readapted. Anyway I got two drain rods on it and had a poke about and got nothing. I then tried to get the rods into the part of the drain which leads towards my house and I suddenly heard a 'clunk'. As I carefully pulled the drain rods out I saw something silver on the end and quickly got my hands on it and got it out:

th_photo.jpg

It's a little bit smelly and needs a wash, but thank God for that.

My new motto: Never give up!

And cheers for the help everyone :cheers:

its good you got it out..i have only got one wheel locking nut,i might order another one(if you can use the number on it to order one)..they don't cost loads..
as for the telescopic magnet.. its very useful to retrieve screws /nuts/sockets when you drop them down the engine..last time I dropped a socket ,took ages with a coat hander to get it...

Black 182 FF
its good you got it out..i have only got one wheel locking nut,i might order another one(if you can use the number on it to order one)..they don't cost loads..
as for the telescopic magnet.. its very useful to retrieve screws /nuts/sockets when you drop them down the engine..last time I dropped a socket ,took ages with a coat hander to get it...

When I first dropped it I got my drain rods out and had a sieve attached to it trying to scoop it out! Only after posting on here did I get the idea to break my aquarium scraper for the magnet. CS does have it's uses afterall.