ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

London Photography Meet

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Paddington sounds like a good shout Dan! I am tempted to take my tripod but might just bring a gorilla pod, and a shoulder bag with a few lenses. Probably 35mm & 10-24.

Given I've just done this (yesterday!) I probably won't go again so soon but would offer the following advice. Travel light, travel superlight! Don't carry a full-size tripod, just a mini one. Wrap up warm and take water!

Did I say carry the bare minimum of kit? ;)

Walking around London for 8 hours is no fun! The lighter you are The better. Also recommend a wrist strap and always carry your camera, that way you won't miss a shot rather than have it dangling around your neck looking like a tourist advertising canikon! security won't be a problem with a group of you.

Dans idea is good re timings. Head for the south bank and simply walk along the Thames at night, cross any bridge and go back in reverse. Photo opportunities are limitless.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips Brazo. I've only got a big heavy Manfrotto tripod, I've done this sort of thing before so I know what to expect lol

I'm not worried about security, tbh I'd be quite keen to tell them to f-off (politely) as we are 100% within our right to take photos (on public land).

I'll check today about getting the half day :)

Right chaps,

Feb 10th is a go!

I'll be definitely going, as will Dunganick (the awesome motorsports photographer).

The plan at the moment is to meet at Charing Cross between 2.30 and 3pm. Then hopefully heading off to the Darren Heath exhibition for a quick visit (you can always meet us somewhere after if you want to give that a miss)

I'll start a list for those who are going.

1. Dan
2. Nick

Hmmm ok.

Well if we can get a list together by the end of the week, then I'll call up and enquire if we can get in.

Wonder how much his prints would be too?!

I'd be 100% up for this, but can probably only do a weekend at short notice.

I am in London every weekend visiting the OH so if you do another one Saturday/Sunday, let me know! :)

Qashcow
Very tempted with this. Been speaking with Dan all morning about coming but struggling with the day off work eek

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
yeh i tried to day with my remote release....

kinda hard to hold and focus/zoom with 1 hand :( fricking ghey!

Don't think I can do Friday 10th due to family commitments. Hopefully this gives me the kick up the backside I need to go out and shoot some urbanscape!

Thanks for the link AK, might be worth a go sometime.

Can those you are coming just confirm, and also let me know what time they can be places?

My train arrives at Paddington 14.29, so I can get a tube to wherever is best to meet.

If you all want to visit Darren Heath's exhibition we can meet near there? Or if not, then near our first photography site?

Up to you guys.

Was in London again yesterday, wasn't really planned, just picking up the Mrs but we stayed for some night shots again:eek:

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Dan, I am hoping to a get a train up at about 2pm so I should be at Waterloo for around 3pm. I can then jump on the tube and meet you wherever. I am crap with London so a set meeting place would be good.

I'm s**t too lol!

Well as much I'd love to see some of Darren's work, it sounds really weird, and it's viewing by appointment only too. Plus I'd really like to get some shots buy the river in the daytime, and I doubt we'll have time if we go and see that.

I know Nick's quite keen, but as he live's there, I'm sure he could possibly go another day easily enough. That ok Nick?

Well how about we meet near the London eye? On that side of the embankment? That's only a short walk for you from the station. I should be there before you, so I can just mess around until you arrive. Depending on what time Nick can get there, we can just play about there too.

I'll PM you my mob number too, so you can give me a bell when you're near.

I really fancy getting some shots by the river using my big stopper, taking multiple minute exposures, kind of like these: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davideanastasia/5810981677/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/winsty888/5407219300/

Nick, hows that all sound to you?

Or this.....wow!!!

6555675283_88d81af369_b.png

London Eye ( BIG "O") by towfiq2010, on Flickr

Oil Burner
whenever is fine with me. I work in london bridge right on the river, so i am only 5/10 mins from most of these spots.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
So is there just three of us who have confirmed? (Slackers) I am Looking forward to it.. I am just pondering on what gear to bring along. Thinking body + 2 lenses, gorilla pod, remote shutter release + cards and usual bits. :S

I am up for giving them shots ago Dan but I currently don't have any decent ND filters lol!

I'll just be bringing three lenses:

85mm 1.4 - for possible street candid photography.
24-70mm - for most of the shots of the day.
16-35mm - if I need anything wider.

- A sturdy tripod, or at least some way of holding the camera is essential.
- Warm clothes!!!!

I'll bring all of the my filters along, they don't take up much space. You're welcome to try some, if they fit your lenses, but all of my filters are 77mm thread size.

Worst case, you can just hold it over the lens ;)

Get an idea of what sort of shots you want to get too, just browse on flickr for inspiration (that's what I did). Just hope the weather is kind!!

I'm sure we'll sort another one soon enough.

I can't do it that frequently though, I may be living at home but I'm meant to be saving for a house deposit, so I can't spunk away £50 on trains that often ;)

2.2 bar shed.
I'm sure we'll sort another one soon enough.

I can't do it that frequently though, I may be living at home but I'm meant to be saving for a house deposit, so I can't spunk away £50 on trains that often ;)

Go through Worcester/Swindon and its £36 quid ;)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
My ticket for the day £20.90 including tube etc :)

I am just hoping the weather holds off or it could get very interesting lol!

Oil Burner
Sounds good, i'm going to stick to one lens/body i think. Not looking forward to dragging the tripod up in the morning though!

Weather looks good for tomorrow, clear skies in the afternoon apparently.

So it'll be a tad chilly too. I've got to dig out my beanie and gloves lol!

See you tomorrow :)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I have got my hat scarf and mittens to the ready lol! It's cirteanly going to be cold!

Dan, I will text you tomorrow when I am on my way!

What time are we likely staying out until?

I can either get the train at 20.20 or 21.48?

Not sure if the 20.20 will be late enough, but if I get the 21.48 I get (near) home at 23.50, and I'd be lucky if one of my parents will pick me up at that time!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I am thinking of getting the train home at around 8pm so I would suggest the 20.20 train.

Best time I found guys for the purple (pollution/twilight/long exposure) skys was about half to an hour after sundown

After that they turn more a muddy brown so 8pm should be fine, good luck and have a great afternoon!

Oil Burner
Looking forward to this guys. Be warned it is bitterly cold near the river at the moment.

It should be a good laugh at the very least.

The only places I'm keen to go is the around the river in the late afternoon, and probably the same reason if it looks like a decent sunset/sky is on the cards. Other than that....I'm up for anything.

And thanks for the tips Brazo :)

What a cold day that was!!
Good to meet you Matt and Nick.

I wish I was typing this on the train home but I missed it lol! Waiting for the next one. D'oh!!