ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Long exposure at night-pink??

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Hi:eek:

Finally got my D40 after 'umming and 'aaaring about what to get for the past year or so.

Just went out with my gash tripod tonight for a play around and firstly took. Excuse the s**te photo, was just testing the exposure!

DSC_0082.jpg

Thought this turned out ok(ish) for a tryout, so moved the camera to try and take some better pics.

But, me being me, decided to play around with the settings, and everything went PINK lol.

DSC_0093.jpg

Where have I gone wrong in the settings? Feel like such a n00b:eek:

And yes, I did feel a cnut running round in the freezing could with a sparkler!

Can't fault the D40 though, really is great! Ordered the 55-200mm yesterday too, I feel addicted already!

Here's some of my other pics so far:D:

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

Sorry for the whorage!

But if anyone could help me about why the world has gone pink then I'll be muchos gratefull!

Cheers,

Luke

B

Brown.

Just light pollution, stadium lighting may be the cause...heres my sky at night,....even though there were no clouds/ very few the lighting of the town was very apparent....but to my eye the sky was black......

IMG_1109.jpg

Had you set your pre set metering modes to say shade, or cloudy it would have looked alot different

Nippy white cup
You sound like me m8....can't stop taking pics since I got my cam..I'm not sure about the colour issue but maybe the colour of the sparkler with the main light it is picking up on so has given a pink tinge. This is probably BS so ignore me lol

Get on flickr m8...worth joining too if you are going to be taking a load of pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14901831@N06/

Chris

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Your colour cast is due to the light source.
You can control it with some of your WB ( White Balance) settings, however it is always better to take a Manual (Pre) Wb setting if unsure.
The pic with the Clio has more than 1 type of light source - You have street lighting ( Sodium Vapour) , light being emitted from the sparkler, and any other ambient light around at the time.

To understand White Balance you need to know it is the cameras ability to reproduce colours faithfully under different lighting conditions.
It is the one of the main fundamentals of Digital Photography.

Rather than bang on about the Discontinuos and Continuos light sources,Electromagnetic colour spectrum etc etc

Have a peep at this page......hope this has helped a bit.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Big Peaches - It probably has lots to do with it, but as you can see with the first pic, it's not half as bad there. Serves me right for fiddling around instead of just getting on with it lol. Both of these were on Auto WB setting too.

Chris - Ha yes mate I'm addicted! Always really been into my photo/video stuff but never got round to buying a DSLR.

The sparkler had nothing to do with it I'm afraid though, I took a few prior to this one after fiddling round and they all came back pink!

Going to join Flickr when I get time, want to attempt the 365 challenge.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Your colour cast is due to the light source.
You can control it with some of your WB ( White Balance) settings, however it is always better to take a Manual (Pre) Wb setting if unsure.
The pic with the Clio has more than 1 type of light source - You have street lighting ( Sodium Vapour) , light being emitted from the sparkler, and any other ambient light around at the time.

To understand White Balance you need to know it is the cameras ability to reproduce colours faithfully under different lighting conditions.
It is the one of the main fundamentals of Digital Photography.

Rather than bang on about the Discontinuos and Continuos light sources,Electromagnetic colour spectrum etc etc

Have a peep at this page......hope this has helped a bit.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

Thanks a lot mate, will have a cheeky gander!

But the sparkler had nothing to do with it, altough I can understand why you would think it was the obvious answer. I took a few between these two after changing the settings and they were pink. Deleted them on the cam though unfortunately.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Big Peaches - It probably has lots to do with it, but as you can see with the first pic, it's not half as bad there. Serves me right for fiddling around instead of just getting on with it lol. Both of these were on Auto WB setting too.

Chris - Ha yes mate I'm addicted! Always really been into my photo/video stuff but never got round to buying a DSLR.

The sparkler had nothing to do with it I'm afraid though, I took a few prior to this one after fiddling round and they all came back pink!

Going to join Flickr when I get time, want to attempt the 365 challenge.

Yes the sparkler did have something to do with it IF the camera was set on SWEAR WORD = AUTO!!!!

You also need to understand MULTIPLE ILLUMINATES - something you first learn as a Photographer is to take control of the point light source.

As soon as you set Auto - your camera has to take into account everything in the scene.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Yes the sparkler did have something to do with it IF the camera was set on SWEAR WORD = AUTO!!!!

You also need to understand MULTIPLE ILLUMINATES - something you first learn as a Photographer is to take control of the point light source.

As soon as you set Auto - your camera has to take into account everything in the scene.

Went and had a play around again before, much better:D

Cheers again mate