ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Long term storage tips appreciated

172 ph1, VW T4
I am probably going to not use my 172 for the next few years so I want to store it it the meantime. I don't want to sell it and since it is in the Czech Republic there are no monthly costs, no insurance etc if it is just in the garage (and I have that too). I am now living in rural Portugal and the quality of their roads doesn't go well with the Clio :)

What I would want to know is the right way to store.

I will have the car in a fairly dry garage, will get a cover for it and fill the exhaust and air intake.
Should I fill it up with gas or leave it as empty as possible?
Should I change the oil or just put in new oil when I want to start it again?
Obviously will disconnect battery, I know about the handbrake.
Should I change brake fluid?
Anything else?

Thanks!

Matt

172 Ph1
Make sure the fuel tank is empty as the fuel will go off and poss mess up the pump in the tank .

If you can put the car on axle stands to relax the suspension.

Regular engine start ups and run till fan comes on is a good idea , but fuel will run out [emoji15].

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Not discussing the length of storage you’re looking at but nethertheless some useful tips

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
As long as the garage is dry I wouldn't worry too much about it, rather than disconnect the battery I would leave it with a trickle charger connected to keep it powered up and topped up.

Personally I wouldn't be too fussed about the fuel, ideally leave it low so you can just brim it and dilute the old stuff when you put it on the road

I'd put fresh oil in it just purely as it's cheap

I used to start mine for 20 seconds or so every month or so just to circulate the oil, coolant and let any bearings spin.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I personally would do the following:

• Leave on stands or at minimum park on some curved tyre savers, they support the tyre over a large area and stop them going square. Pump up the tyres pretty firm as this helps them maintain their shape.
  • Remove battery.
  • Brim fuel tank or add some fuel stabiliser.
  • Flush brake fluid if its not been done recently as this will remove any moisture in the system.
  • Remove plugs, add a small capful of oil to each cylinder and turn the motor overwithout the plugs in, just to ensure the bores have a good cover of oil film on the surfaces. Refit the plugs thereafter.
  • Vaseline door & aperture rubbers
  • Cover exhaust/intake just to stop anything wanting to nest in there.
  • Handbrake off.
  • Place some large bowls half full with salt in the footwells of the car. This will absorb any moisture and keep the interior mould free.
  • Cover over and keep dry.

Left my car sitting in all weathers outside over a period of about 4 years with the odd return trip to the car to start it and move it forward and back.

The only problem was the rear brakes binding and rusting. So remember to leave the handbrake off. All the other prep work suggested is overkill aside from disconnecting the battery imo but unless its on a trickle charge it will be useless anyway if you are parking it up for years and even then you may well find you need a new one come time to recommission the car.

If I were you I would be checking for any signs of rust starting on the sills, arches and petrol filler and get that sorted because it could be a mess when you eventually take it out of storage.