ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looked at a Clio tonight - is this normal?

Kia Ceed
Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum. I wanted some advice on something. I went to look at a Clio tonight for my Mum, been a long time since I drove any Clio, I had a mk1 RN model as a “youth” and spent lots of money “modifying” it..... ahh.... memories eh! Anyone want pics please let me know LOL

Anyway, this one we looked at is a 1.2l petrol on an 11 plate. Low miles, lovely condition throughout, very neat and clean around 60k on clock. Engine bay spotless, drives extremely well - speed bumps you hardly feel. All in, a nice car. However when I unscrewed the oil cap, inside looks a little gunky. Now, I have had a few cars over the years and if I recall correctly, my old Punto did this and I would wipe it clean and that was the end of it for literally months. It never gave me any issues at all that car, she was a beater but pulled like an ox.

From the pics, would you be wary or is this no concern do you think? We only took it around the block but everything seemed good. The owner (nice polite lady) handed us the keys and went back to the TV whilst we took the car out so they seem very honest tbh.

The only semi-alarm bell is that the car has had five owners, most recent owned the car for five months and has bought her mates focus which in her words is just bigger, faster and you can fill the boot with more crap! Again, it doesn’t bother me too much as my last car I bought off a guy who had it three months and got banned, he got it off his mate (who was with him) who had it six months and got rid as his new girlfriend didn’t like it! Sometimes cars go through owners quickly for odd reasons and I get that. I got seven trouble free years out of that until the gearbox went bang. I had done about 70k in it.

Guys, just general opinion. Owners and oil cap - do you think it sounds iffy? They want little over £2k for it but we plan to go in at £1500 as in my personal experience, private sellers who already have their replacement car tend to bite your arm off.

Thoughts?
Many Thanks indeed.

Attachments

• 7F843D1E-9BCE-471D-B723-16A31F26C89F.jpeg
    7F843D1E-9BCE-471D-B723-16A31F26C89F.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 311

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The car is over 2k and you will offer £1500?

I'm getting flashbacks when selling cars on gumtree.

They don't really suffer head gasket issues so probably just the above, hopefully.

Kia Ceed
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I should have checked the dipstick, slipped my mind. Will do on a second look I think.

I’ve heard condensation can cause that, it’s what I got told on my Punto I am sure of it so thanks for clarity.

Yea I was thinking of going in at £1,500 and seeing what they say.

A car is like a house in one sense, price how you like but it’s only selling for what Joe Bloggs is willing to pay. Unlike a house though the value goes down every time you turn the key. No harm trying ?

Oh, I did have one other question. Is the spare wheel meant to be underneath the car? It was nowhere to be found but what looks like a chamber is underneath.

Thanks

Clio mk2 extreme 4
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I should have checked the dipstick, slipped my mind. Will do on a second look I think.

I’ve heard condensation can cause that, it’s what I got told on my Punto I am sure of it so thanks for clarity.

Yea I was thinking of going in at £1,500 and seeing what they say.

A car is like a house in one sense, price how you like but it’s only selling for what Joe Bloggs is willing to pay. Unlike a house though the value goes down every time you turn the key. No harm trying [emoji16]

Oh, I did have one other question. Is the spare wheel meant to be underneath the car? It was nowhere to be found but what looks like a chamber is underneath.

Thanks

I know on the mk2 that the wheel is under the boot floor and would imagine it’s the same for these as a lot of cars store them there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RS Clio 200T
As above, could just be condensation from short journeys, corsas get it really bad too

Check the dip stick
Header tank for contamination and compression/bubbling
Check the heaters get warm
and that it doesnt overheat and away you go :-D