ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at 1.4RTanything look out for

Hi,

New user (clearly) :) , now im 22 and on a very restricted budget, im a student and have managed to scrounge together £1700 over my placement year.

Now instead of just babbling on ill try to give you a bit of a laugh before i bombard you with questions ;)

Now for the past three years ive been proper skint, and the rents never seemed too keen on buying me a car which im fine with, i have a bro and a sis both going to college (and uni) this year which costs them a bomb as it is. So to keep up the money saving trend i decided to take an unwanted car off my auntie to get me through college. Now this is where the laugh comes in :D .

I currently drive a "donated" Fiat *Cough* Uno (sick i know :oops: ) 1.0L fire, blergh! . However, i cant knock the ugly little begger as its seen me through 40K with only a new exhaust needed when i got it and some new wheel bearings, brake discs/pads etc since. Its now pushing 93K on the clock and starts from cold every single time, now its a sh1t box know doubt, but for nothing i cant knock it.

Anyway, if you can hold back the jokes hopefully you can reassure me on whether im spending my cash wisely.

Im going to have a look at this clio on thursday (pictured). Its a P plate 96 1.4 RT (w/ power steering) with 52,000 on the clock, 3 owners, part service history +reciepts. It gets a full years mot & tax an is priced at £1995. Now this is slightly over my budget but hopefully i can pull him down on it.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ricjax9903/media.jpg

Insurance will set me back around £590 which aint that shabby considering i have 3 SP30s on my licence (whoops, 37, 47 and 36mph, bah :mad: if you must know). Thats including 3yrs NCB.

So just wondering if theres anything i should really look out for, considering this is the first car ive looked at i need some pointers at what to look out for on these clios. Ive done a bit of background research and apparently the sunroofed RTs suffer from the "leaky roof syndrome" so i should check for damp. As i guess many of you clio vets. have probably had the odd RT in your time mebbe you could give me some advice.

Also, not that fussed but hows the 1390 lump stack up, is it relatively good up hills and good on the ol fuel wallet :)

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time :D

[Edited by ricjax99 on 04 May 2004 at 2:00pm]

Welcome Dude, check for rust around the rear arches, clios suffer from that quite badly, but as the one your looking is 96 that shouldnt be a massive problem!

Welcome matey :)

yeah as Dan said check around the arches and yes they do suffer from leaky sun roofs hehe so check that too

I cant really think what else would be a problem - it should be an energy engine which is really reliable i touch wood have nevre had a problem with my baby :)

Seems a fair price maybe could drop it a bit as it hasnt got full service history make them an offer with cash should do the trick hehe

nice little motor there tho looks sweet as :)

Vix :)

Thanks for the welcome/reply :D

I asked on the phone about the bodywork and its immaculate so he says, ill definetly check for rust even tho i wouldnt expect it on a 96 P.

Whats everyone think about the colour, never been a fan of green but i really aint that fussed. It looks nice enough i suppose

edit, yeah im gonna offer £1500 cash and work from there, i would be happy to get it for 16/17 but you never know :)

Hehehe, im suprised no ones had a giggle at my U...NOOOOO!!!! :D

[Edited by ricjax99 on 04 May 2004 at 2:15pm]

[Edited by ricjax99 on 04 May 2004 at 2:17pm]

Quote: Originally posted by ricjax99 on 04 May 2004

Thanks for the welcome/reply :D

I asked on the phone about the bodywork and its immaculate so he says, ill definetly check for rust even tho i wouldnt expect it on a 96 P.

Whats everyone think about the colour, never been a fan of green but i really aint that fussed. It looks nice enough i suppose

edit, yeah im gonna offer £1500 cash and work from there, i would be happy to get it for 16/17 but you never know :)

Hehehe, im suprised no ones had a giggle at my U...NOOOOO!!!! :D

[Edited by ricjax99 on 04 May 2004 at 2:15pm]

[Edited by ricjax99 on 04 May 2004 at 2:17pm]
Yeah colours cool only one other greeny in the club so go for it :)

work your way from there could get yourself a nice little bargain hehe

and I wouldnt take the mickey cos Nickyb has an uno turbo and he would kill me hehe! nah nothing wrong with it could be a lot worse fella could be a fiat panda hehe ;)

Vix :)

Heheh, your right it could be a lot worse. I feel better as i paid sod all for it :-D

Well im waiting to get one up on a lad who vists accross the road, he drives a Punto 1.2 55 and sped after me the other day. When i get rid of the uno ill take great pleasure in pointing out that "55" badge indicates he has a whopping 10BHP more than my uno 45 hehehehe ;)

i find my RT is a bit sluggish up big hills unless you get in the correct gear to start with. IE if you;re in fourth, and try to put it in third half way up, it will struggle one hell or a lot more than having it in third to start with - but then i suppose this is the same for most cars

Im used to dropping well beforehand due to what i currently drive so i have quarms doing the same. Thanks for the input.

Is the 0-60 really 11.2/12s on these? a hell of a lot better than 3 weeks with the wind behind me lol :oops:

Bought it! :D

P Reg 1.4 RT (Aug 96) Met Green

52,700 Miles, had an almost full service history

2 Lady owners and one guy in his mid 50s, did 12K in the last 2yrs then he traded it in for a land rover.

Leccy windows, Leccy mirrors and Leccy sunroof

Power steering

Front fogs

Factory fitted spoiler

Alloys (no idea what they are tho lol, think they are original fitment)

MOT till Feb 05, Tax till Nov 04

Talked him to £1600 with the UNO as part ex :D

Worlds apart from the uno really is. Got a wave from a white clio going through unstone yesterday on the way to the GFs too :D

Ill get some proper pics taken ASAP :)

[Edited by ricjax99 on 10 May 2004 at 10:00am]