ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at 172's - Make your case :)

172/A4 Tdi
Afternoon all.

I'm looking to get rid of my current car to put some money in the bank towards a Mortgage, so I'll have about £2000-2500 spare to buy a 'fun' car to potter around in and maybe take to Brands/Bedford a few times throughout the year.

- This has lead me to 172's.

Now a friend of mine used to have a 182 Trophy with a lot of trick bits that I drove a few times on track and absolutely loved it - BUT - how is a cheap 172 going to compare and/or what would I need to do to it to make it comparable on track. I don't mind spending a few hundred pounds on pads/discs, bushes etc, but what are the main things it would be 'handy' to buy a car already with?

I'll leave it to the experts to advise...

Thanks all!

Kirky

172 Cup R.I.P
get yourself a 172 cup and they are a very capable track car

then try stiffen up the suspension a bit either eibach springs or coilovers

good set of tyres

etc etc

172/A4 Tdi
Hey Mark,

I have a set of Yoki A048R's sat in my shed with a few trackdays worth of tread on them. Just need to find some 16" wheels for them to go on (I get 16's mega cheap from a friend who owns a Lotus garage.. Need to run 16's to save tyre moneys! Lol)

Whats the big difference between the 172 and the 172 cup then? Are there phsyical differences in the chassis, or just the standard equipment/weight of the vehicle from the factory? I'm a Ford man normally - This French lark confuses me :) Lol.

Thanks buddy.

Kirky.

172 Cup R.I.P
the ride is slightly lower and the track is slightly wider i think plus stiffer

no aircon, no abs, no spare wheel

cloth interior with one piece rear bench seat

less sound deadening

cup spoiler

splitter most come missing though haha

16" turini alloys

only come in mondial blue or silver

no xenons

there's a guide somewhere listing the differences but it think i covered the main ones

the reason i wanted a cup was i loved the mondial blue and the turinis are certainly better looking then standard 172 alloys

regards

172/A4 Tdi
Ahh ok, sweet.

That does mean that if I was planning on changing suspension, seats, stripping it and using hubcentric spacers and camber bolts - Either model should potentially be fine? I Wouldn't mind keeping A/C tbh, Sure I'll save enough weight to compensate through interior items and removing the spare wheel :) Don't fancy summertime queues on M25 headed towards Brands sweating my b0llocks off. lol.

172/A4 Tdi
Getting out of an 53plate Audi A4 with all the bells and whistles, to a car without A/C may be a bit much to handle... Lol. But I guess It's worth looking at. I'm always concerned that the cup, being the 'hardcore' of the 172's will end up getting abused. I don't mean thrashed, thats not a bad thing with proper care and attention, but hammered and neglected slightly more than a 'Full fat' 172?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I got a 172, and have driven a few 172 cups, not a great deal of difference between the two IMO. if you like your creature comforts then go for the 172.

172/A4 Tdi
It was the 'Trophy' I drove before - The mod cons were just about acceptable... lol. But saying that, I know a 172 won't be comparable to a 182 Trophy on track. Just don't think I could live without A/C or Climate!

Last edited:
  172/A4 Tdi
Well as a humble employee of the Eurocarparts world, I can get staff rates on Billstein. was considering one of their kits? I don't know if Coilovers are the be-all and end-all or if having good quality dampening is more important.

I ran B12's on my ST150 and it seemed really good. Think they do a B12 or a B14 kit for the 172, going to check when I go back next Monday :)

172/A4 Tdi
...Lol. Sadly, He is actually sound - you just have to pick and choose what bits you pay attention to ;)

Gave me a good insight into the Clio world though, that's why I think it's the best choice for a cheap toy!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
It was the 'Trophy' I drove before - The mod cons were just about acceptable... lol. But saying that, I know a 172 won't be comparable to a 182 Trophy on track. Just don't think I could live without A/C or Climate!

It's how you drive it, obviously a Trophy is better suited but both will be just as fun. I could run rings round Matt Wills track prep'd Trophy in my 172 with cheap Vmaxx coilovers.

172/A4 Tdi
His 182 was a very capable car - sadly and to his own admittance, even I drove it much better than he did. Lol. Same was said for his 200, at the RS trackday at Bedford we went to he was getting overtaken by 172's, 182's, 197's etc - Only thing that managed to get my me was a Megane 250. Lol. But that aside - PH2's are definately a good base car in pretty much any form it sounds!

PS, How do you get on with those V-Maxx coilovers? If we didn't need them do get home from Llandow when we last went, I'd of set them on fire at the track as a warning to other drivers. lol. Think I'm definately going to try something different! ;)

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Were the heights set too low? I found my Vmaxx a bit crashy but after I raised them the ride and handling was vastly improved.

I never had any issues with Vmaxx on track, seemed to handle just as well as anything else. If I hadn't run my 172 into the ground I'd have changed them for FK Konigsports just for the adjustable damping.

Have you heard from Matt recently then?

Listerine & Poledo
Normal 172 will be fine.

Only the truly heroic (or the misguided/desperate to convince themselves) can tell the difference bwteen standard 172 & 172 Cup.

You cn always start playing chassis engineer and bolt on new suspension if you so wanted.

But you can't put a price on air con, especially in weather like we've had this last week.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Well as a humble employee of the Eurocarparts world, I can get staff rates on Billstein. was considering one of their kits? I don't know if Coilovers are the be-all and end-all or if having good quality dampening is more important.

I ran B12's on my ST150 and it seemed really good. Think they do a B12 or a B14 kit for the 172, going to check when I go back next Monday :)

A 172 on coilovers will be quicker than a trophy. The only real performance difference between the trophy and the 1*2 is the suspension.

Bilstein B14's are renowned as being excellent on the Clio's, speak to Fred at BTM if you'd like some enthusiastic reviews of them :)

I'd further the 172 cup comments, 89kg lighter than the 'standard' 172. And not forgetting the power lost when you have AC..... I don't miss it really, only when it's silly hot and you're not moving. If you're planning on stripping it, you'd be silly not to start with a cup IMO, many on here have removed the AC from their 172's at a pretty substantial cost. The only counterargument being that if you intended to fit buckets, then the standard Renaultsport interior has some value, whereas you literally can't give the cup interior away.

172/A4 Tdi
Atouba, he had it sat on 15's and he'd slammed it right on it's ar$e. So before we left I got out the C-Spanner and brought it up so there was maybe 35/40mm between the arch and the tyres (probably looked similar to a standard car on sportlines?)? It needed to settle on the drive up anyway, and then we adjusted it twice more when we were there. I've only ever driven on Billstein or KW before - So maybe I was just being picky? Lol. Haven't heard a thing from him in 6months+, not sure what on earth is going on - Bit of an annoyance seeing as I had such high hopes for the MSVR this year in the Xsara, which has since gone walkies with Mr.Wills! If that hadn't happened, I doubt I'd be looking at 172's though, so maybe its a blessing in disguise? Lol.

Goodj, I agree entirely. There may be a considerable difference between the AC/Non AC in weight - But if I was THAT bothered I know enough mechanics to remove the AC pump and pipework anway. Then its a matter of abusing my warehouse stock to find a belt thats going to fit haha.

Jack, the issue I face is that if I'm LUCKY, I'll get out on track maybe 5/6 times a year. Im saving for a mortgage - Can't go too silly you see! I hadn't considered the resale value of the interior to be honest, that's a really good point! While on the subject of fitting buckets - Isn't there an issue with the airbags in the seats? Or is it just a resistor bodge-job to shut the dashboard up?

Thanks for the many replies/opinions - Very nice to see you guys actually offering some sensible advice - memories of the old Fiesta ST forum was 'Buy shiny things, spend money, be the best!!!' lol.

Kirky.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Maybe you're picky or maybe I don't know any better having not driven many other 172s. If you can get a good price on Bilsteins then it'd be silly not to go with them.

So still no word from him since December then. He removed me as a friend on Facebook for some reason.

I didn't realise he'd run off with the Xsara though! Hadn't you both put money into that?

172/A4 Tdi
Think I'll definately weigh up the Billsteins then - maybe I can convince the company to let me have them dirt cheap in exchange for some good write-ups on the forum telling everyone they are the balls :) lol.

I'd really only put in a few hundred quid into the Xsara thus far tbh. I was planning on selling my motor to buy a cheap run-around and then throw 2/2.5k at the Xsara for some shiny bits we needed. Or, in other words, give £2500 to Matt @ TDF and say 'make it faster please' :) Might go investigate Xsport and see if its hidden down there someplace lol.

I have tried talking to people about it's location but they are a bit stubborn with the info - I think Matt wants his privacy at the moment. I know he's had real issues with people on here, so I doubt this will be the place he re-appears lol. It's a shame, he's so insecure that he has to spend out on a poxy Clio to try and impress people. Bloke could have had an Exige with the money he spent! It's a sad story - If you seperate him from this car lark and just go down the pub or something he's totally different - I'm sure a few people realised that on here but tbh, it's a forum, a high percentage of people will just jump at the chance to slate someone ("present company...." etc etc lol) . Same old story really! Don't take the facebook thing too harshly - he did it to me as well - And we shared a bloody track-car lol.

Do you still get out for the RS trackdays and stuff? I notice you're only in Hook, be handy to grab a convoy with people once this planned 172 has materialized. I'm only down the road in Farnborough you see!

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
If your looking for a light car that you may well strip what about a phase 1? As they have aircon, abs, leather interior, cable throttle (Big plus) and a spare wheel! oh and they only weigh 1059kg's with all that gear. Compared to a cup which is 1011kg i think, and that has no spare wheel, lighter cloth interior, no abs/ aircon, sound deadening etc
So if you do plan on changing the seats for buckets / strippage i think the phase 1 is the best if you want to go proper lightweight, plus there cheap as chips!

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Oh plus the phase 1 has better flowing exhaust ports too around 20% better i think from memory, so it responds better to mods!
Regarding the bucket seats yep its a resister bodge and the dash light will go out

172/A4 Tdi
That's where my shallow opinion of looks comes in.... I just really preffer the front end of a Ph2 to a Ph1 lol. Thats where my 'Logic' of the best car is unfortunately over written by it 'looking nice' haha.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
He did get a bit carried away with all the cars!

I'm planning to do the Renaultsport trackday at Brands on 22nd September. Doing Donny on 25th July but that's fully booked now and probably going to do one in August.

We're quite active with the meets if you fancy coming to any, you don't need to own a Clio.

Edit: Phase 1 interior is awful as well :dead:

172/A4 Tdi
Yeah, I'd need to own 'A track worthy car' lol. My A4 Quattro Diesel may be a bit of a stretch ;)

Good news to know you're all track-active! I've never done something so addictive in my life. I don't think I've ever been the anything but the last car out on track, you know, the one that pretends he can't see the marshalls ushering everyone back into the pits? Lol. Brands evening sessions are my most likely outings I think, they're lovely if the weather is right!

I drove Mr.Will's black Ph1 to RenTech and thought it was utterly awful inside to be fair. So did the Mrs. can't be having that. hehe.

172/A4 Tdi
Right well I picked up my 172 last night, late ph2 with cruise control xenons etc etc. Paid 2600 for it but the bodywork and interior are MINT.

But, there's an issue that's been suggested could be CV joint judder when it's under load and you are turning the wheel (it's fine in a straight line!) any other suggestions as to what can cause a judder when steering and on power? Steering pressure switch? Definately engine/drivetrain rather than a suspension component