ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at a 197 (Advice welcome)

Clio 197
Afternoon all,

I'm currently looking to purchase a 197 & have come across the following. The cars in exellent condition etc etc. 58 plate, 15k on the clock, 1 owner.

However the following 3 things are putting me off.

1) Service history - It has 1 stamp, from the dealer its at! The previous owner never had it serviced?
2) MPG on the display. I know this essentially doesn't mean much but its showing 20MPG. I've been to look at 5/6 197's & there all showing around 28MPG - Could this indicate its been thrashed around the majority of the time?
3) Only 1 keycard - Not a big issue as i've researched you can get them for around £150/£200

Link to the car - http://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/find-a-car/car-details/renault-clio-manchester-178029.htm

I think its the colour thats got me interested in this particular car, however am I correct to trust my gut feeling & have second thoughts about it. Or am I just being picky?

As you've probably realised I'm a new member, I haven't got a huge knowledge or experiance of what to look for so any opinions & advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
1. When was the stamp (mileage/date)? Not sure what the intervals are...2ys/12k I think?
2. Not difficult to achieve that sort of MPG. Reset it drive a few miles, then leave it idling while shuffling it about the forecourt a few times would easily give a low figure. Don't pay any attention to it.

Apart from that, looks like a nice one.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Hiya-

Servicing on these is 12k/ 1year- so by now 3/4 stamps ideally-
MPG isnt great on these- high 20's is the Norm-
As said keycard ~ £200-

Ive got to say though that car is pony- & overpriced- Its total basic spec with ZERO options......

IF you are spending 8k then I suggest ( if you like that colour) going for one of the 2 Racing blue R27's that are currently for sale on the net- dont waste your money on this dog-

Regards
Steve
R-Sport

PS if you want any info on 197's PM me- Steve

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Its total basic spec with ZERO options......

Apart from Climate control...

But anyway. For me, service history is the biggest key to these cars. If not just for longevity but for resale value also.

That is strong money for a what is essentially a basic car with no service history.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The one you have linked to is proper poverty spec!!

Send Sir_Dave a PM. I think he still has his 197 Cup for sale.

Sold it last week. That was a '57 plate Nimbus 197 Cup with Recaros & 33k, full SH & a recent gearbox from Renault. I sold it for £6.4k and that was absolutely mint!! Bought from Steve at R Sport Cars above in fact.

If you are buying a 197 it HAS to have Recaros. It also needs a service every 12k miles, which that one doesnt have.

Clio 197
Thanks for the info Mark - it was stamped last month when the dealer got it, saying that the sales guy couldn't give much info of how they got the car. Just private owner from Birmingham.

Cheers for the responce Steve. If I'm honest I'm not too bothered if its a Cup/F1 or standard. Is there any extra maintenance costs with a Cup/F1?

All im looking for is a good example that hasn't been messed about with & in a 50 mile radius of Stoke-On-Trent. Luckily I'm not desperate to change cars, so I can afford to be alittle picky in what I want.

Thanks
Karl

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
daniel is correct is does have climate which is over & above the standard A/C unit- its nice to look at!

All the maintenaince costs are the same irrespective of model ( unless you have recaros & build in the obligatory retrim of the seat bolster cost )

Good luck with the search- with your budget you are in Top spec R27 territory- dont waste your money on a non specced car-

Steve

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Thanks everyone for your input.

Looks like I'll give this one a miss.... the search goes on!

Karl

Just buy one from Steve - he only stocks minters, at a decent price as well!!

The white/yellow ones are for sale in fact:
p1050426.jpg

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Yellow R27 has now sold-
However the white one is there still- Gave it a run today via the post office to put tax on it!
X2 tax in one day :(

S