ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

looking at a mk1 172 tomorrow...

E87 118i
rare as hens around here, looks like a possible good deal on a 2001 mk1 172, flame red....

what should I look out for when I give it a butchers ?

thanks

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
my cambelt wasnt done and mine was at 70k but says in logbook to do it at the 72k BIG service which i had to get done.
just listen out for any harsh knocks or anythin and make sure AC still works and all that crap. and yeah obvious signs of crash damage and get a HPI. im no expert tho. always pot luck with 2nd hand cars but this ph1 given me zero probs so far.

E87 118i
its at renault, so maybe they will offer some sort of warantee?

so Crash repair
FSH
Cambelt

Car SOLD :-(
As all above plus wheel bearings, disintergrating steering wheels, scratched silver internal door pulls. Cam belt and tensioner change is a real must, along with aux belt.

All said, it will always make you smile:D

Chocolate Bar™
Expect wear to the steering wheel, silver electric switches, and drivers bolster
Make sure its had its cambelt done, before 5 years and 50k, or the engine will prob be fooked
check the gear box, if its not tight, and is very slack it will be ragged and therefore prob mechanically s**t
Make sure its been serviced regularly
check the ligths etc are all ok.
If it sounds tapity, or isnt as pokey as you'd like, its prob that the previous owner has used 95 ron petrol and shite oil, i changed both of these on mine and now its as sweet as a nut
check for a wobble in the steering wheel, dont dismiss it immediatly if there is one , as it could be balancing, tracking etc. but if there is one i'd get an independent inspection if you havent got a waranty on it as it could be steering related

Other than that the ph1's are bomb proof so everything should be ok. Also on the flame reds expect pitting to the alloys, as every colour except silver was imported and therefore the alloys are unlaquered.

E87 118i
thanks guys, they said it has FSH and its just under 90 000 kms, so they will give it the 90K service.

just hope its in good knick.....hold thumbs

E87 118i
oh, just checked renault advertise on their website in south africa a 2 year unlimited km warranty, hope that applies to this one.

E87 118i
had a look, bit of a time a time waster, car was ok, bar the steering wheel, drives side silver insert....had a crappy gear lock thing.....and had a "factory fitted" sunroof......did 172's come with a sunroof ? otherwise good.....

however the valued my car for peanuts, even less than book value ? and my car is mint(ish).......oh well........rsi for life.

clio 172 mk1
had a look, bit of a time a time waster, car was ok, bar the steering wheel, drives side silver insert....had a crappy gear lock thing.....and had a "factory fitted" sunroof......did 172's come with a sunroof ? otherwise good.....

however the valued my car for peanuts, even less than book value ? and my car is mint(ish).......oh well........rsi for life.

keep on trying you wont regret it!!!!

E87 118i
will always keep an eye out for a good example, love the sound the engine made when I turned the key......

note to self: convince the boss for a car allowance....