ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at getting my first 182, but I need some help.

Works Van.... FAST
I'm off to view a Clio 182 today I found on auto trader. It's an '05 with low milage, circa 36000. Looks like it's in great shape. The only issue I know of prior to going is that there is about a 2ft scratch on it's rear quarter and a small dent underneath the scratch. Bearing that in mind what should I offer?

Also, i wondered what should I look out for when I get there and test drive it? Is there a used 182 buyers guide on here?

Thanks

There's a guide stuck at the top of this section, but don't bother with it. Big scratch in that area is going to mean paint and awkward paint at that.

There's loads of them available mate, not like you're buying some super rare car and you just have to take what you can.

It depends on colour/spec/belts for the price. But I'd keep looking.

Certainly keep looking, I looked at a few and I wanted them as soon as I'd seen them, despite the problems they had.

Wait it out and good things will come, don't buy one just because it's the first one you've seen.

Works Van.... FAST
Hmmmmm, fair point. It's a silver 182, no packs, all belts done in the last 5k. I might still go and have a look and grab a test drive as I haven't properly driven a 182 yet. Still got to see if I get on with it lol. Thanks for the guide. I saw it just as I posted this thread! Typical haha

The kid - I've been looking for a few months now and nice ones seem to be hard to come-by

Personally, I don't think no-packs is the end of the world. The spoiler is easily added, the splitter will be missing anyway. The suspension is barely any different and gets you only 3mm lower. No-pack gives you more aftermarket suspension options. Silver wheels look better.

The only hindrance is when you come to sell and the geeks from here think they need the cup packs. But I wouldn't be paying much more than 3500.

Works Van.... FAST
Just got back from looking at the car in question. Scratch and dent weren't too bad, however the thing that really caught my attention was the fact that the driverside front wing was miles away from the bonnet (I.e. Massive panel gap of about 15mm) and when I drove it it seemed to pull to the right slightly. It might not have been anything but I just got a feeling in my stomach that it wasn't the one for me. So needless to say, I walked.

But.... It has reaffirmed my desires to get a 182. Love the way the engine comes alive from 5k. Seems like a real
"smiles per miles" car. I just hope I can find a decent one for the right money.

Mate, you did the right thing, always walk away if you're not sure. The first one I saw I loved, but it had some weird marks on the door and oil all over the sump cover. I walked away and waited for a decent one. So worth it, don't want to buy a money pit!

You'll love it when you get it! There a particular colour you're after?

Works Van.... FAST
Thanks mate, I appreciate that.

I do like the silver ones but really I would like one with both the cup packs. Im not really too interested in colour. I just want reliability, no marks etc, not stupid milage and as mentioned as a preference.... Cup packs. I would even settle for a mint 172 cup. But I don't want to pay more than £4000-£4500.

Yea it would be nice, but I wouldn't necessarily pay a premium for them.

As said, the splitter will 99% of the time time be missing, the spoiler can be obtained and fitted easily etc.

I got one with cup packs, but as Adam and Revels said, it wasn't the decider, it was on my wishlist, but not the final be all and end all, just decide what you're maximum price is, and don't break the bank, chances are any 1*2 you buy will want something doing on it, be it through your personal taste, or a few wear and tear items.

Look out for belts done, receipts and where they were done, some places are better than others...

The bonnet catch was a warranty recall, if it looks knackered it might have missed the recall, iirc Renault will still change it for nothing now, just remember to get it done, a bonnet up moment on the motorway won't do the roof much good!

Other than that, just general points to check,

Best of luck with it..

Works Van.... FAST
Well I have narrowed it down now. I either want a 172 cup for circa £2.5k-£3k, or a 182 for £3.7k-£4k. But every sodding one I find on the net that is nice, is either 200 miles away, or sold when I contact the owner.... I think I might have a cry lol.

I don't thi it helps that I'm really fussy. I really just want a clean unmolested low milage example of a good car. What more can a man ask for?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Its amazing how cheap the crs can be had now, but a lot of threads seem to be confirming my opinion on the price, it appears a decent looked after one is hard to come by
Hence why i will never be selling mine ;)