ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for a Decent Socket Set

Renault Clio RS182
I know Halfrauds doesn't necessarly have the best reputation as a retailer, but i can't fault their own brand tools. Good quality at the right price (most of the time)

172 Cup
Don't bother with the vortex system, the sockets are very thin walled and i have broken two ratchets.

Bahco do some very basic, but solid 1/2" sets for £55, likewise i rate facom ratchets and sockets.

The halfords professional range is far superior to the vortex system, which i believe is actually a gearwrench product.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I swear by Draper Expert. Paid just over £100 on an offer for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch socket set with deep and shallow sockets plus extensions. Had that for 2 years and used every day working on trucks and not had anything break. Well the case broke but that's because it was in and out of vans sliding about.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
The 150 piece Halfords set seems a good deal actually - I also like the lifetime guarantee. Thanks for your replies.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i bought a standard halfrauds set 5 years or so ago, still going strong, few casualties but i paid 99 quid for it and its lasted so so well. main issue is the torx bits are brittle and break. but i have been through and equal number of teng tools ones since as well. ratchet spanners wear out and the medium ratchet is dodgy as well now but for 20 quid a year its done very very well

bearing in mind i have had 6 clios in that time, all of them home maintained and i have stripped 3 of them for spares and done mand gearboxes, subframes, head gaskets, bottom end rebuilds and god knows what with them, so done some mileage too.

as BK say, thats a a lot of bang for anybodies buck ;)

172 cup
Got a halfords 150 set and it seem good enough, plus has a good selection of bits. They were doing them half price but not sure if the deal is still on

Renault clio 172
Not sure what halfords stuff like, I got a set of my uncle for free called snap on he had them when he used to work at nissan, and there really good never broke one and I've had them for 3-4 years not sure if there cheap or expensive but always been good for me

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Halfords 150pc socket set.
Job done.

Comes with a lifetime guarantee, however it doesn't cover moving parts (ratchets).

Make sure you keep your receipt an you'll never need to buy another set.

275 Trophy
LOL at not sure if snap on cheap or expensive.

I find Teng to be fairly poor quality. Depends on how often you are going to use the tools. Halfords Pro is perfectly exceptable for home spannering IMO.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Snap on do blue point sets (cheaper version of snap on tools) which are excellent vfm. I have 3 sets, a 1/4,3/8 and a 1/2 for working on my car and they're covered under snap ons lifetime warranty to. I use snap on at work though! No comparison!

Halfords proffesional range is very good quality though, especially with it having a lifetime warranty.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Halfords Pro is a FACOM product from memory. They make Draper, MAC and a few others.

For the money they're excellent value and top quality. No flank-drive though which is IMO great even though its no longer a Snap-On only thing.

Renault clio 172
No seriously I had no idea as I got them all for free and don't ever look at the prices of them sort of things, I've looked now and they are crazy money I'm going to take much better care of them from now on

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I'd recommend everyone to have a torque wrench. At the end of the day every nut and bolt has a torque setting. Although that torque wrench in the link won't do your wheel bolts.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
Went for the Halfords 150 set - it was still at £99 so a bargain in my eyes. Hopefully I'll have years of use out of them. Thanks for your input guys. :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
They become even cheaper if you know someone with a Trade Card.

182, 6r GTi
Snap on do blue point sets (cheaper version of snap on tools) which are excellent vfm. I have 3 sets, a 1/4,3/8 and a 1/2 for working on my car and they're covered under snap ons lifetime warranty to. I use snap on at work though! No comparison!

Halfords proffesional range is very good quality though, especially with it having a lifetime warranty.

same for me blue point at home snap on at work, worth it if you're using them day in day out, but if its only for now and again there's no point spending loads of money

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
With the trade card you get what ever price is cheaper. If the offer price is cheaper then that's what you will pay.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd recommend everyone to have a torque wrench. At the end of the day every nut and bolt has a torque setting. Although that torque wrench in the link won't do your wheel bolts.

Cheers yeah might get it as it has a lifetime guarantee anyway so I'm sure it'll make its money back eventually.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
With the trade card you get what ever price is cheaper. If the offer price is cheaper then that's what you will pay.

If you go to use your trade card and the offer price is cheaper, you just get them to put it through as a normal customer.

Gutted I binned my trade card, I can't get it re-issued either as I haven't worked there since Uni -.-

I'll have to get my missus' Dad to get one

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've got a Halfords 150 pro set. Really good quality tools. You can always add to the kit if you need extra sizes and breaker bars etc.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I can get the 150 piece socket set and small torque wrench for £125 so its a no brainer really as they will come in very handy.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
Just a lil update to say I went with the Halfords set and I really recommend it. The kit is brilliant and the warranty aspect is great. One of the ratchets jammed up, I took it in and they pulled a brand new one off the shelf for me - happy days! :)

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
I swear by Draper Expert. Paid just over £100 on an offer for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch socket set with deep and shallow sockets plus extensions. Had that for 2 years and used every day working on trucks and not had anything break. Well the case broke but that's because it was in and out of vans sliding about.

^^ this... I've got all Draper Expert stuff, really decent in my opinion and doesn't cost the world.