ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to buy 197/200

Hi guys.
So i'm looking to buy my second car in around May, and have decided on a Clio 197 or 200 as they seem the best hot hatch for the money.

11k budget so :
197 or 200 and why
What to look for when buying?
What factory extras, I want the recaros and spoiler!
What mods are the most popular on here?

Thanks for the help :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
£11k should get you a decently specced 200... Or a great spec 197/r27 with change.

the r27 (197) comes with

recaros
cup chassis (introduced to 197s in the r27)
Cruise control
soft touch dash
liquid yellow as an option
renault f1 team decals

deisrable options are

xenons with cornering lights (look for head lit washers)
climate control (look for the screen on the centre consol)
Renaultsport steering wheel insert

marmite options are

RS splitter
RS skirts
cup spoiler

197s (0:cool: options are the same as the r27 bar liquid yellow paint but you could spec speed line alloys

200s have similar options except xenons. People retro fit them from non sports
they also have a marmite anthracite pack which changes the wing mirrors, diffuser, front blade and bumper insert from black to Anth. It's marmite but I think it looks awesome on light coloured cars

the most desirable colours are alien green (discontinued), storm grey (discontinued), liquid yellow, racing blue, ultra red, nimbus silver

200s have 20% stiffer springs and dampers iirc
quicker steering rack
better low down torque for town driving

the recaros on 200s have yellow inserts as opposed to the 197s silver inserts.

the cup chassis in both are identified by red brembos and anthracite wheels

£11k should get you a decently specced 200... Or a great spec 197/r27 with change.

the r27 (197) comes with

recaros
cup chassis (introduced to 197s in the r27)
Cruise control
soft touch dash
liquid yellow as an option
renault f1 team decals

deisrable options are

xenons with cornering lights (look for head lit washers)
climate control (look for the screen on the centre consol)
Renaultsport steering wheel insert

marmite options are

RS splitter
RS skirts
cup spoiler

197s (0:cool: options are the same as the r27 bar liquid yellow paint but you could spec speed line alloys

200s have similar options except xenons. People retro fit them from non sports
they also have a marmite anthracite pack which changes the wing mirrors, diffuser, front blade and bumper insert from black to Anth. It's marmite but I think it looks awesome on light coloured cars

the most desirable colours are alien green (discontinued), storm grey (discontinued), liquid yellow, racing blue, ultra red, nimbus silver

200s have 20% stiffer springs and dampers iirc
quicker steering rack
better low down torque for town driving

the recaros on 200s have yellow inserts as opposed to the 197s silver inserts.

the cup chassis in both are identified by red brembos and anthracite wheels

Really informative, thanks for that! The F1/R27 seems to tick all the boxes, and obviously money saved is more modding money. Since they're LE i'll just have to see what is around at the time :approve:

Is there a difference between the 200 and 197 'box? I mean in terms of the bits that are reported to fail - mine has never shown any sign of failure/stress (197).

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Early 06-07 197 boxes have really short gearing so 70mph in 6th is 4krpm, 57 onwards (including 200s) have slightly longer gearing so 70 is 3.5k

the mods to do are

30mm drop and 25mm spacers, check Christopher's 200

if you get a 200, black vinyl on the lower valance of the front bumper looks ace, check gorms and chappers (iirc) 200s

and speed lines, if you don't get a car with them on.

if you want a cup spoiler, get a car with no spoiler, or a cup spoiler already attached as you can't fit a cup spoiler to a gt spoilered car, they're different bootlids

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Be sure to check the gearbox on the 197's. or budget for a new one.

That would stand for any 197 or 200. Some 197's are in better nick than 200's. some people still get a gearbox fail on 200's

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If you want to fit in on here you need Recaros, cup suspension and projector lights as a minimum, probably best seek out some silver visions too.

if however you don't care what anyone else thinks, buy whatever comes along at the right price and just drive the f***ing thing. They're sublime, whatever the spec.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
The gearbox issue is definately not unique to the 197! Plenty of low mileage 200s have had them replaced too. It seems very random. My 65k R27 has no gearbox issues and arguably has less 'issues' than a lot of cars with much lower miles.

Moral of the story is don't be scared of something with higher miles.

StormGrey 200 RS CUP
Plenty 200's around for that price, Just check eye out on forums/ Pistonheads and autotrader.

Be prepared to look around abit, i looked at 4 before i handed my money over

Clio 197
I went for a 197, all the options on a 58 plate with low miles. Looks better than a 200 IMO

DSC_0027_zps01d43177.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
........................and spacers that make it look like its running wheels from halfords and fudge up the handling ;)

Suzuki Jimny
........................and spacers that make it look like its running wheels from halfords and fudge up the handling ;)

Mental how a couple of years ago the spacorz craze didn't exist, now people are ruining cars left right and center.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
11k budget so :

197 or 200 and why- 200 as its the better car. Did the press rave about the 197? No!

What to look for when buying?- fudged gearboxes, torn door seals

What factory extras, I want the recaros and spoiler!- Recaros make the car (IMO) as do Speedline wheels if you plan on sticking with OEM wheels

What mods are the most popular on here?- On here (CS?). Turinis, silvervisions and such like. Whats popular with MK3 RS owners? Zausts, cams, remaps, spoilers, OZ wheels, springs/coilovers

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
It has a silly yellow TRS tow strap so you should at the very least get £500 off. :p

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
The fact it says it's 212 bhp but no mention of cams etc would put me off!

Looks a decent car though

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'd not consider that one because of 'breaks', because of '212 bhp', and because of two owners in 23k miles - how much would either of those have cared about the long term health of things like the clutch etc?

Of course, if you only intend on keeping it for a short time yourself it doesn't matter, you can abuse it too before selling it on.

Renault Clio 197 Cup
If you want to fit in on here you need Recaros, cup suspension and projector lights as a minimum, probably best seek out some silver visions too.

if however you don't care what anyone else thinks, buy whatever comes along at the right price and just drive the f***ing thing. They're sublime, whatever the spec.

Agreed!

Recaros are a MUST IMO, make a very bland interior feel great!