ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to get a Clio 182, any advice?

Hello there, sorry if you have seen 100 posts like this before but was after some help from those in the know

Looking to get a CLio 182 as they are pretty quick and reasonable cheap. I have a bout £5000 to spend, what should i get for this sort of money. I have seen 04's with about 30k on the clock for £5500 from a dealer is this a good ballpark figure?

Also what are the things to look out for, as this are hot hatches I imagine they will get a hammering. What tell tale signs are there which give this away? obvioulsy i know the car will have been driven but prefer if it wasnt around town/tesco's supermarket in 1st gear. How to avoid this?

Also i see there is a 172/182 and cup packs lowered suspension etc. are they al broadly similar?

Another quicky i go fishing occasionally and have a 6 foot road bag, with the seats folded down and pushed as far back into the boot where would 6 foot reach, over the gear stick? i know a bigger car would be better but got me heart set on a little 182 :)

many thanks for any help :)

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Buy a mint 172. buying a 182 for 5k u will get a avarage or below one, and the major service will need doing next year setting you back 500-600 quid roughly straight away.

Imo buy a FSH PH2 172, you get the looks and the extras and you will get a nicer car for your money.

but if it was me id buy a PH-1 172 they are the best and most fun (and the fastest.....worms) :D

if you are set on a 182 it has to have both cup packs really :D = more money straight away.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Welcome to the club.

Been covered before try a search but a few pointers....

Make sure you get as much service history as possible Aux belt needs changing after 36k or 3 years (some say 5 years).

You after the Cup or FF, cup has no leather interior or C/C, FF has cup suspension and 1/2 leather and C/C.

You should be OK with the fishing rods just drop the passenger seat right back and should have enough room going over the back seats.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
PH1

2973662399_b5cba05cc8_b.jpg

PH2

2890424752_1984f17078_b.jpg

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Ph2 is the new shape as such.

Xenon headlamps and more goodies.

but the PH1 has a cable throttle in stead of the silly electric thing, much prefer the PH1 to drive myself (i have a 182 though)

ah ok cool thanks, worth noting. so a 172 cup for £5k i could get 04 under 40k miles if lucky? I dont want any mods on it if possibly. this seems reasonable ?

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I don't think for around 5k you'd get a poor 182 - mine is for sale for 5400 and it is in pretty good nick I'd say - cost me 6500 11 months ago and since then it's had new suspension/wheels/steering wheel etx

People seem to have been put off by the 475 pound suspension though (random?) and the wheels so I'm looking to put standard 182/172 cup wheels back on it with the standard cup suspension.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=371108

RB 200 Cup!
you can get 172 cups very cheap now

tbh 5k wont get you a perfect perfect 182 - unless you buy after xmas ;)

pay ya tenner membership and browse the cars for sale on here

theres a sales bit of here, ok that is interesting. Not being tight but before i pay up many cars for sale on it? Near London !?

sweet looking car Kris, thing is shopping for cars you have to set a budget before hand i think and mine is 5, was gonna look for cars priced £5500 and knock um down but you guys here know what you are tlaking about so less likely to happen!!

Does the 172 cup not have ABS? think thats a no no then as the mrs will be driving it, once you get used to ABS ...

Nimbus Megane R26
Cup does have abs i believe, just doesnt have the ESP that a full fat 172 and 182 have. You could get a half decient 182 for 5k ish but it wouldnt have sub 40k miles and it probably wont have had the big service done. Like said chap, keep a look out for bargins after xmas! plenty about!

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
No clio 172 s DO NOT have ABS! or ESP

Early 172 s DONT have ESP, some later ones do

ALL 182s HAVE ESP

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
172 were never made in FF, FF is a term developed to describe a 182 with both cup packs.

you get a 172 cup, simple interior, no ABS only came in blue with silver turinis ect

or

A 172, alcentara interior, choice of colours and has the 5 spoke wheels,

thats in simple terms.