ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

loose back end knackered 172 shocks?

when i take a right handed bend at any speed in my 172 it feels really loose as if sliding away it then seems to find grip which then seems to grab the front steering it also seems to follow any uneven contours in the road you always seem to be fighting the car to keep it in a straight line it's got to the point now that i don't really want to drive the car. it has 17'' oz superturismo gt's with toyo tyres. the tyres are in excellent condition and all the alloys seem sound. i've tried various tyre pressures and this hasn't made any difference. if it's the rear shocks does anyone know how much a set of rear shocks will cost.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
check shocks for oil leaks then, open boot and push car down, movment should be smooth and shouldn't bounce more than twice.

check springs too see if they haven't broken.

not too sure on price but go for uprated dampers. IMO

172 cup'd extreme
been like this since you fitted the toyo tyres? i had toyo's and my car used to slide round corners really sh*t me up !

seems to be a bit of oil on the left rear shock been ok on the toyo's just till the last couple of months, how much is it to fit the shocks any idea do i need to change both at the same time or can i get away with just changing the damaged one. many thanks for the replies

172 ph1
For an extra £50 you should change both. If one has started leaking the other will start soon, and you should replace in pairs really. It's an easy peasy job to do yourself, but if you go to a garage expect to pay for an hours labour at most.

been to a mechanic said he can't see anything wrong with the shock it's a bit damp but he said there should be no oil leaking as they are filled with gas. if there isn't anything wrong with the shock, any ideas to what else it could be.

TVR Cerbera
Vectra said:
when i take a right handed bend at any speed in my 172 it feels really loose as if sliding away it then seems to find grip which then seems to grab the front steering it also seems to follow any uneven contours in the road you always seem to be fighting the car to keep it in a straight line it's got to the point now that i don't really want to drive the car. it has 17'' oz superturismo gt's with toyo tyres. the tyres are in excellent condition and all the alloys seem sound. i've tried various tyre pressures and this hasn't made any difference. if it's the rear shocks does anyone know how much a set of rear shocks will cost.

Mine has just started to do the exact same thing but on left hand corners if they are bumpy and my right rear shock is leaking oil a bit. just for your info. looks like that could be the problem!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
trust me, they DO leak oil, i woke up to a nice puuddle one day, the handling was scary to say the least!!!!

R

rich[182]

Similar prob to mine, cant see any oil though but get a knocking noise from rear even when going slow up drive, got 36K service @ GDI shortly so gonna have them checked out, if they are shot Im just gonna get a pair of new standard shocks and a full set of Eibach Sportline too

clidge said:
how good are the standard shocks then can they handle lowering springs ok?
They can yep but there life span will be reduced by how much and how long stock ones last depends hwo you drive.