ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loosing steering wheel airbag and MOT?

Beaten up 182
A question for those of you that have aftermarket steering wheels, has anyone had a problem passing an MOT with it? I don't mean road legal track cars but every day road cars.

Technically you should have.... But mine said - I quote - "if the wheels turn and the horn works then I'm happy".

Ask them in advance. Just give them a call and say you have a non standard wheel fitted for occasional track use, will this pass an MOT with you?

Arctic 182FF
The only reason I can think of for it failing is if changing the steering wheel caused the airbag light to come on the dash, which it would unless you took the bulb out or wired in some resistors or something of that nature. I could be wrong though, I don't have an aftermarket steering wheel, just trying to give logical advice.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Mine passed using resistors to get rid of the airbag light and a ph1 stalk for the horn.

The only reason I can think of for it failing is if changing the steering wheel caused the airbag light to come on the dash, which it would unless you took the bulb out or wired in some resistors or something of that nature. I could be wrong though, I don't have an aftermarket steering wheel, just trying to give logical advice.

New rules... deliberate removal of airbag.

True though, my lights were coded out with CLIP.

Beaten up 182
I'm guessing replacing the steering wheel airbag with a resistor will allow all other airbags to remain active.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Mine failed with a non standard wheel. Removal of air bag despite air bag light not being lit up.

Can't fail it on something that's not there to fail was always my understanding. Obviously if no lights are on too.

Massive differences across the board as always.

Arctic 182FF
New rules... deliberate removal of airbag.

True though, my lights were coded out with CLIP.

Oh right, I didn't know that. Does that also apply to seats then? Since there's airbags in the front seats, would replacing them with say bucket seats also cause it to fail MOT? Or is it exclusive to the steering wheel?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
There is no set rule on this, it's at the discretion of the tester.. If there car is extremely modified for track/motorsport use then it won't fail as there is a specific clause to exempt these types of car. It is more likely to fail as a standard road car without a bag but as said doesn't always as lots of testers just look for the light rather than if it came with one as standard.