ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lost all Coolant due to Bottom Rad Pipe will Engine be OK?

PH1 172 Sport
Whilst driving up my lane my coolant temperature rocketed and the stop light come on. I turned the engine off immediately and the temp gauge didn't get to the top. Popped the bonnet and all the coolant had gone. It was getting dark so couldn't tell where it was coming from.

Towed car the 400m home and spent the last two hours sorting it out (everything is 100x harder in the dark!).

The jubilee clip on the bottom pipe of the rad had rusted all the way through and the pipe had come off.

I've refilled the system and bled it, heated the engine up and topped up the water. The car seems to run ok but I haven't driven it.

Should I be concerned of any engine damage?

Also what size are all the clips as I'm going to order some stainless ones and fit them at the weekend?

really depends upon how long it's been overheated for. nothing to lose though - may as well use it; if it's created a problem, it'll likely let itself known fairly quickly

PH1 172 Sport
really depends upon how long it's been overheated for. nothing to lose though - may as well use it; if it's created a problem, it'll likely let itself known fairly quickly

Luckily I noticed as soon as the stop light come on so the engine went straight off.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
my vw over heated after i changed the water pump, thought i bled the system through, left it running for a good half hour came back needle was on red and the dash was flashing and beeping. luckily it was ok.

PH1 172 Sport
Well fingers crossed the clio lump can cope with a bit of heat as I cant afford for anything major to go wrong with it

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Had this happen to mine, came off a roundabout, booted it up the dual carriageway and the dash lit up like a christmas tree! Never seen a temp gauge rise so quick! I just knocked it into neutral coasted it to the side where it was safe and turned it off. As soon as i did the temp gauge dropped back to the middle where it usually sits. That was the other year and it's been fine so i'd imagine you'll be fine too. As long as you haven't carried on driving it with the temp right up there you'll be ok. At the end of the day the temp gauge is the coolant not the actual temp of the block of metal.

53 Clio's & counting
Im sure it will be fine mate, you reacted quickly, and i expect it would have drained out pretty quickly, the real damage comes from it draining slowly and not noticing