ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

loud humming at all speeds from front of car

clio mk2 75 vw bug
Hi I was wondering if someone could help I have a 1998 clio which is makeing a loud humming noise from the front passenger side of the car while driving it can be heard at all speeds but gets louder the faster I go, itmakes no difference if I coast the car the noise is still there, I dare not take it over 30mph as the noise is so bad also the car pulls a little to the left but not excessively, i have jacked the car up and put it in first gear with engine running and a clicking/scraping noise can be heard as the wheel rotates, any help would be greatly appreciated, aldo all tyres on the car are good

Sounds like a wheel bearing, very possibly the gearbox but hopefully a wheel bearing as its cheaper to fix.

Spin each front wheel, the one that sounds the worst will be the one which needs the bearing replaced.

clio mk2 75 vw bug
Hi thanks for reply forgot to mention if I turn left hard it stops making the noise until I straighten steering wheel up or turn right

Do the tests and see if you can rule out what it is, if it is a bearing the fronts are pressed into the hubs which you will need a press for i.e. garage job or source a second hand hub and have a new bearing pressed into that then change it over.

That's if it is the bearing.