ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud whining from crank pulley area

Clio
Hi all. I'm hoping you'll be able to help a new clio owner. I'm trying to fix an issue on our '07 1.4 and so far it's got me beat. I thought it was alternator bearings or possibly the tensioner but I've replaced both and the noise is the same. If I remove the belt and run the engine is sounds fine but as soon as the belt is on it sounds awful. The air con pump pulley feels fine, what else could it be? I've included a link to a vid of the noise

Clio
I see what you mean but it's spot on. Whatever it is, it came on pretty quickly. I've only really got previous experience of minis and their crank pulleys can come apart. I was wondering if clio's are similar?

PH2 172
I see what you mean but it's spot on. Whatever it is, it came on pretty quickly. I've only really got previous experience of minis and their crank pulleys can come apart. I was wondering if clio's are similar?

I`ve not heard of it, but they are listed new on eBay, so there must be a market for them.

@bloke

dan's cast offs.
run it with the aux belt off but with how clear the noise is that will be a doddle to find.

PH2 172
Run it with the aux belt off, but with how clear the noise is, that will be a doddle to find.

I understand what you meant to say now.

Keep up at the back, it does not make any noise with the aux belt removed.?

Clio
run it with the aux belt off but with how clear the noise is that will be a doddle to find.
I've run it with the belt off and there's no noise. The way I see it, it can only be the crank pulley or aircon pulley unless I'm missing something. I cant get the aircon clutch to engage as it needs a regass, but when disengaged it spins freely. There is some slight movement on the outer part of the crank pulley but not enough to make that racket (probably) [emoji848]

dan's cast offs.
didn't read only watched the clip. screwdriver and hold it to your ear, you can't not find it!!!!!!!

Clio
didn't read only watched the clip. screwdriver and hold it to your ear, you can't not find it!!!!!!!
I've used a stethoscope on the alternator and the tensioner pulley. Both were noisy, thsts why they got replaced with new bits. Cant do that with the crank pulley though. Is there any sort of mechanism inside the crank pulley or is it just metal and rubber?

Clio
Checked out the aircon pulley again and its def ok. Going off the crank pulley part number it appears to be one of these

89abe1ad3c2fc3c4b64fa85f0316acf2.jpg

It looks like this on the reverse

cb9664a8afc4baa12990fdc4a242d469.jpg

Before I start pulling things apart.
Do I need to lock out the cams or anything before I rattle gun the centre bolt out? And probably most importantly what does the cog drive? It might be what its connected to that's bust

Clio
Also, am I right in assuming that the cambelt and water pump are ok if the engine runs quiet with no aux belt on. That seems reasonable to me

2003 Clio 172
Is water pump not on the aux side..........

*edit* sorry, it is on RS models......i see this is a 1.4 but there REALLY should be something obvious making that din.

says the person who is pissed of with squealing belts AND IS DOING NOTHING ABOUT IT!

:)

Clio
I think the rubber has failed on the pulley and is allowing it to flex against the side cover (which is aluminium). Took a pic of the clearance and it's basically nil
5da6d9ad2b2d02ac69847b7465c0344b.jpg

2003 Clio 172
stop.

its not keyed to the crank on a 172 either but taking it off without locking all the timing up will blow the timing out

on a 172 this is the only thing that holds the crank sprocket in time on the crank.

i dont know if that is the case with this engine but check first

Clio
stop.

its not keyed to the crank on a 172 either but taking it off without locking all the timing up will blow the timing out

on a 172 this is the only thing that holds the crank sprocket in time on the crank.

i dont know if that is the case with this engine but check first
Cheers thanks. I would have thought that the fixed point of reference would have been the bottom timing sprocket. Goes to show how much experience I have with these engines. I'm glad I asked [emoji3]

2003 Clio 172
I don't know fella.....I am just suggesting exercise caution.

The guy son here will have the exact knowledge you need ;)

Westy. MX5
Spray some WD40 on one pulley at a time whilst the engine is running, see if the noise disappears. Then try spraying on the aux belt. Should help diagnose.

Clio
Already tried the whole wd40 thing. By way of a quick update, it began throwing a STOP 'battery not charging' error yesterday. I think the inner and outer pulley sections have now well and truly come away from the rubber
4b46d2df2a54b1f85efd78222aedeac0.jpg

Clio
Quick update......the problem is finally fixed. It was the bearings in the aircon pump! It felt fine on the car but off the car it was horrible and clearly the vibrations were transferring everywhere